Brake Controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChuckLHC

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummings
Just had the latest updates done to my 2015 Ram 2500. They Replaced the catalytic converter, updated to the ABS and ITBCM.
I have to say I am very pleased with the ITBCM update and have disconnected the P3 brake controller. Before the update with the Factory controller was set at max gain (10) and heavy elect and It just did not work. Now I have it set @5-7 towing a 12k TP toybox and seems to be working fine. If something changes on this trip I will let you know.

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Just had the latest updates done to my 2015 Ram 2500. They Replaced the catalytic converter, updated to the ABS and ITBCM.
I have to say I am very pleased with the ITBCM update and have disconnected the P3 brake controller. Before the update with the Factory controller was set at max gain (10) and heavy elect and It just did not work. Now I have it set @5-7 towing a 12k TP toybox and seems to be working fine. If something changes on this trip I will let you know.

This is good to hear. Why did they replace your catalytic converter? Was there a recall on them? If so I have not received a bit of info on any recalls if there are any. I also have a 2015 2500. Nevermind about converter I see you have a diesel. Lol

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have to say I am very pleased with the ITBCM update and have disconnected the P3 brake controller.

Waking up this old thread because we have a winner.

Two weeks ago I pulled my 2015 3500 out of the garage where it sat for the winter. I ran over to my dealer for a tire rotation and to have the ITBM and ABS reflashed to get the ITBM fix. They ended up reflashing an additional four modules (BCM, radio hub, air suspension controller, engine/tranny controller) and informed me the SCR recall has expanded to now include my truck. But guess what, no parts available.

When I got home, I headed over to the north field to retrieve the fifth wheel where it was sitting for the winter. I could hardly stand the anticipation, is the brake controller fixed? Will it finally stop the fiver? I don't have all the answers yet because I have yet to tow the fiver on the open roads but, the ITBM, at a gain setting of 7, in light or heavy electric mode, will engaged the trailer's brakes enough to stop the forward engine idle travel. The ITBM never had the ability to do that before.

I have high hopes RAM figured out how to once again implement a proportional brake controller. This ITBM/ABS fix was released last fall, so if you didn’t get it yet, go do it.

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Waking up this old thread because we have a winner.

Two weeks ago I pulled my 2015 3500 out of the garage where it sat for the winter. I ran over to my dealer for a tire rotation and to have the ITBM and ABS reflashed to get the ITBM fix. They ended up reflashing an additional four modules (BCM, radio hub, air suspension controller, engine/tranny controller) and informed me the SCR recall has expanded to now include my truck. But guess what, no parts available.

When I got home, I headed over to the north field to retrieve the fifth wheel where it was sitting for the winter. I could hardly stand the anticipation, is the brake controller fixed? Will it finally stop the fiver? I don't have all the answers yet because I have yet to tow the fiver on the open roads but, the ITBM, at a gain setting of 7, in light or heavy electric mode, will engaged the trailer's brakes enough to stop the forward engine idle travel. The ITBM never had the ability to do that before.

I have high hopes RAM figured out how to once again implement a proportional brake controller. This ITBM/ABS fix was released last fall, so if you didn’t get it yet, go do it.

I had this update done a couple weeks ago. It definitely helped even with my smaller trailer. Before you couldn't feel the brakes. Now they are much stronger. Pulled our camper just this week 4 hours each way and all was good.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I really don't mean to be obtuse, but how in Hades does FCA think that the time of hook up (before or after starting engine) or how many times the brakes are applied, is going to make a difference in how the brakes work?

When we stop to fuel when towing, are we all supposed to go back, unhook the trailer wiring, start the truck, go back again and plug trailer back in? It amazes me that the morons at FCA truly seem to believe that each and every one of us that drives a RAM is mentally impaired enough to believe their horse manure.

Plain and simple THE ITBM SHOULD PUT OUT THE DESIRED VOLTAGE AS NEEDED!!!

This sounds to me like more smoke n mirrors for when the wrongful death cases start hitting them.

As an aside, for those who have been following this for the long run, remember when "Erica the FCA person came on and was going to "help us"?

So they'd rather have you start your vehicle, THEN go back and hook up the trailer ? So you spend as much time as possible between the truck exhaust & the trailer to get fumed to death....

Talk about some truly stinky brown stuff.........

polecat94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Halfway fix

2015 ram 3500 had it in Sunday for the crappie trailer stopping issue. 24 foot car hauler scaling about 10k. They "updated" the itbm but couldn't say for sure it was fixed. When I got it home we checked voltages starting at the plug and got about 9 volts at the plug at 10 gain brakes fully applied compared to about 6.9 before the magic update. The trailer stopped SLIGHTLY better but still sucked and totally inadequate for any grade. My buddy had a tekonsha p2 NIB in his truck by coincidence and we plugged it in. Guess what? 13 volts at the rear brake and trailer stops great. Ram IBM is junk at least mine is and confidence in ram service isn't high. Integrated whiz bang defeated by a 100 dollar after market part and lots of my time wasted fooling with plugs and listening to excuses about how it functions. It doesn't function. Ymmv

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
2015 ram 3500 had it in Sunday for the crappie trailer stopping issue. 24 foot car hauler scaling about 10k. They "updated" the itbm but couldn't say for sure it was fixed. When I got it home we checked voltages starting at the plug and got about 9 volts at the plug at 10 gain brakes fully applied compared to about 6.9 before the magic update. The trailer stopped SLIGHTLY better but still sucked and totally inadequate for any grade. My buddy had a tekonsha p2 NIB in his truck by coincidence and we plugged it in. Guess what? 13 volts at the rear brake and trailer stops great. Ram IBM is junk at least mine is and confidence in ram service isn't high. Integrated whiz bang defeated by a 100 dollar after market part and lots of my time wasted fooling with plugs and listening to excuses about how it functions. It doesn't function. Ymmv

Did you have it set for heavy Electric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
2015 ram 3500 had it in Sunday for the crappie trailer stopping issue. 24 foot car hauler scaling about 10k. They "updated" the itbm but couldn't say for sure it was fixed. When I got it home we checked voltages starting at the plug and got about 9 volts at the plug at 10 gain brakes fully applied compared to about 6.9 before the magic update. The trailer stopped SLIGHTLY better but still sucked and totally inadequate for any grade.

The ABS also has to be updated along with the ITBM. RAM updated mine earlier this year and I have since towed my Montana RV and the ITBM works just like I would expect it to, finally! The RAM fix fixed mine and many others report the same successes.

Remember, the power signal from the brake controller to the trailer brakes is modulated (Google "PWM" for additional). To accurately measure the voltage you need a volt meter that can measure true RMS values.

Last edited:

karjar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For a 5200# travel trailer (loaded weight) on a 1500, what do you think gain should be set at? The dealer watched and had me down to 2 on light electric and said that was good!? I can't seem to do the brake lock up test for setting like my old P3 controller and as the manual for this 2017 says to do. Does this work proportional to speed as well? How best to set this? Thanks for any help. Leave on a 9 hour trip Sunday

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
For a 5200# travel trailer (loaded weight) on a 1500, what do you think gain should be set at? The dealer watched and had me down to 2 on light electric and said that was good!? I can't seem to do the brake lock up test for setting like my old P3 controller and as the manual for this 2017 says to do. Does this work proportional to speed as well? How best to set this? Thanks for any help. Leave on a 9 hour trip Sunday

Light electric is correct, the owners' manual states light electric for trailers under 10,000 pounds albeit it is a recommendation.

The factory brake controller is proportional.

How many axles on your trailer and are they all equipped with brakes? What type of brakes? If drum, what size drums?

There are a lot of factors, on my utility trailer, two axles both with electric drums, a setting of 4 works when the trailer is empty, a setting of 6 when I have my tractor on it (about 7200 pounds), light electric.

karjar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dual axle. It is a new FunFinder trailer and I don't know what type of brakes. I guess what ever is standard in newer travel trailers lol. Both wheels have brakes. I just didn't believe a setting of 2 would work and yet as I was pulling out RV dealer had me press my brakes and watched the trailer and kept getting me to dial back from 7 where I started to 2 and then said that's good

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Dual axle. It is a new FunFinder trailer and I don't know what type of brakes. I guess what ever is standard in newer travel trailers lol. Both wheels have brakes. I just didn't believe a setting of 2 would work and yet as I was pulling out RV dealer had me press my brakes and watched the trailer and kept getting me to dial back from 7 where I started to 2 and then said that's good

Brand new trailer, the brakes are basically non-functional until they get a good breaking in. Go out and make several stops using the trailer's brakes under manual control, say from 40 or so down to 5 MPH, do that three or four times and do not let the brakes cool in between stops. Then run about 25 MPH to a full stop, let the brakes cool and repeat a few more times.

Following the trailer brake setting procedure in the owners' manual, you should have success.

karjar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you. Sadly the manual isn't worth the paper it's written on. Will have to find a quiet road on the way out Sunday. We leave for a 9 hour trip one way.

Guykemp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
This can't be the ending... After spending 2 hours reading this thread from the first post I'm at the edge of my seat! I just traded in my 2014 Dually for a 2017 because of this issue (among a few more, DPF errrr) So my 40' Toy Hauler STILL won't stop!! I just spent over $500. having the brakes broken down and rebuilt because once I bought a new truck... "it could not possibly have been the Brake Controller". What a dope, I wish I'd found this thread 3 days ago. Checking the plug, the cable, the wiring under the carriage etc etc etc. I'm see many of you on this thread did the same. And I am extremely thankful to you all for this painstaking research. So can it be that my new Dually was shipped without the flash update? Does the update really work?? This is so upsetting that RAM TRUCKS, the best truck made, can have such a stupid issue! I need an answer, someone please tell me this has been corrected. What's next???

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I can't say it made mine any better at all. I have the camper up on blocks now and I am going to tear the axles etc down and rebuild after harvest, but at first glance- my trailer brakes are in good shape and work fine on our other trucks.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
someone please tell me this has been corrected. What's next???

The ITBM/ABS software release was done in November of 2016. When the release made it onto new production is something only RAM would know.

The software update fixed my trailer stopping issues but I've read a few complaints on the various forum that a few still have issues.

My only suggestion is this, pull the breakaway cable and see if your trailer's brakes fully apply. If they do and they don't under ITBM control, well...

OP
OP
K

Kwhite

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 3500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The ITBM/ABS software release was done in November of 2016. When the release made it onto new production is something only RAM would know.

The software update fixed my trailer stopping issues but I've read a few complaints on the various forum that a few still have issues.

My only suggestion is this, pull the breakaway cable and see if your trailer's brakes fully apply. If they do and they don't under ITBM control, well...

Finally Had my Brake controller flashed with the update, It made a world of difference, just completed a 3000 mile road trip with my 5th wheel, very happy with the way the brakes now work, with that being said my P3 is still mounted in the truck and ready to be plugged back in just in case! lol

Springhook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Would you mind posting the TSB number. Was it 08-082-16?