Brake problem.. help please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badjuju2010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im getting a grinding sound from my right front brake/rotor. I have a 1/2" rough area that goes around the rotor. If i turn my wheel and press the brake it will go to the floor and abs light cones on. Is this a bad caliper? I hope not bc its a srt 10 and they are pricey

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Something is not right. I would take it to a shop that specializes in brakes and bite the bullet. Safety should be priority one in all of our minds, and our brakes are the number one safety device on our vehicles.
Any visible damage to a brake rotor means you have to replace that rotor, pads, and possibly the caliper. Grinding means the pads are completely worn and you are having metal on metal contact. Do not replace just the one, replace them all.

ercmesser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree with mega mouse your brake are done. At minimum you will need pads and rotors, don't do what all the idiots do and pad slap your truck.

OP
OP
badjuju2010

badjuju2010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No my brake pads are all brand new. I think i have a rock or something stuck in there. I can see my pad is a little kicked out on on side. Soon as i get it taken apart ill know

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like a brake pad installation fail. Probably at least need new rotor and pads on that wheel now.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like a brake pad installation fail. Probably at least need new rotor and pads on that wheel now.

This. If a rock or something gets stuck between the pad and rotor, the rotor gets pretty much destroyed. Never reuse a damaged rotor and to be safe replace the pads too. As I said safety should be top priority.

OP
OP
badjuju2010

badjuju2010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welp.. it ended up being a wheel bearing in terrible shape

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welp.. it ended up being a wheel bearing in terrible shape

Dang did not think of that one. Normally when a grinding sound is coming from around the wheels with rotor damage, it is the brakes. If I were you I would still replace the damaged rotor and pads though.

:worthy:

OP
OP
badjuju2010

badjuju2010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes sir i have drilled and slotted rotors for all 4 corners coming

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes sir i have drilled and slotted rotors for all 4 corners coming

Cool. You will be happy with them. I also have drilled and slotted rotors and they are a most definite upgrade over the stock ones I had.

:rocking:

AK_Armendariz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7 L
I had grinding in my brakes, and I had to replace the rotar and new pads. The grinding is metal on metal and depending for how long it has been doing it, you would only need new pads but if it's been going on for a while you will need a new rotor as well. And if you replace both and if the light is still on then I would take in. But I would do what you can before taking it in.