Brake squeaks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mblouin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2019 Ram 1500 classic bighorn 59000 miles
Bought 1 year ago new brake pads rotors and tires put on by dealer. Now has 68000 miles and the brakes are squealing on light pressure and at speed when stopping at light. Seems to be infrequent/ doesn’t happen all the time.
Dealer only test drive in parking lot. Can’t find the issue. As soon as I leave with in 10 miles it starts again. Any ideas?

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Lots of variables to try and nail down the culprit. In the end you'll probably have to take the tech for a ride and make them squeak so they see there's an issue.

Kudos that the dealership is willing to try and fix the squeak. Most brake "warranties" last 1 yr/12K miles so you are butting up on the edge of that.

- What did they use? OEM?
- Did they do the burn-in/seating/ break-in procedure? (probably not)
- Did they replace the hardware too or just the rotors and pads?
- Did they apply the right goop to the backs of the pads (or just whatever grease was lying around)? Ample amount?
- What material are the pads? Some are more prone to squeaking, some are more prone to dust, etc. This goes for brands too.

My truck had squeaky brakes and the dealership was able to get rid of 80% of it (TSBs for the 2019 5th gen brakes squeaking) but it never fully went away. In the end some brake combos just squeak. It's annoying but as long as there's no performance issues then it is what it is unless you want to put new brakes on.

Mine had too much life left to justify replacing them but that would have been my next move if I still had the truck. The brakes were great except for the noise so it was not high on my priority list...just annoying as @!%*.

If your priority is quiet brakes then shy away from anything metallic. You want to go the ceramic route or, if budget is a concern, organic.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Ceramic pads man, wagner oex no dusting and high performance.

Channels are great, I dont know why more people dont use these, zero brake dust as well.

OIP.jpg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Make sure warning clips are digging your rotors, not likely if these are fairly new, but still possible.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Now has 68000 miles and the brakes are squealing on light pressure and at speed when stopping at light. Seems to be infrequent/ doesn’t happen all the time.
Light braking pressure is a bane of squealing brakes. If your not consistently applying more pressure when stopping, then your "riding your brakes".
Try aggressively braking several times to clear up any glazing or pull the brakes apart an scuff them up with sandpaper.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Just one dirt or gravel road could end with a pebble between the Dust shield & the rotor

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500