Brakes on 2014

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SteelerRam

Reaction score
I couldn't find any other discussions on this here - my search skills probably aren't up to *****.[emoji28]

2014 1500 Sport with 53k miles on it, brakes are squeaky. Just started but not going away either. Figure I just need new pads, which should be an easy diy?

Any recommendations on brand? Typical pricing for all four wheels?

I have a 1,000 mile road trip coming up in July and wanted to get this done before.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Have you checked to see how much wear you have on the pads? You might just need some of the paste that goes behind the pad against the caliper to eliminate the squeaks.

Also I'd want to know if the rears even need replaced. 53K might not be much wear on them.
Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

henryhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did mine myself a few weeks ago. I only needed to do the fronts. The outer pads had plenty of pad material left, it was the inner pads that wore down and ate one of my rotors up so I replaced both front rotors as well. It was an easy diy IMO. Straight forward and nothing tricky. Took about an hour. I watched a video on YouTube first. I used the ceramic pads from advance auto parts. They stop just as well as the stock pads and produce MUCH less brake dust, keeping my front wheels cleaner longer. Order the parts online and pick up at store to save yourself 20%, use the discount code "P20".

Edit: replaced pads at 45k miles.

Last edited:

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I did mine myself a few weeks ago. I only needed to do the fronts. The outer pads had plenty of pad material left, it was the inner pads that wore down and ate one of my rotors up so I replaced both front rotors as well. It was an easy diy IMO. Straight forward and nothing tricky. Took about an hour. I watched a video on YouTube first. I used the ceramic pads from advance auto parts. They stop just as well as the stock pads and produce MUCH less brake dust, keeping my front wheels cleaner longer. Order the parts online and pick up at store to save yourself 20%, use the discount code "P20".

Edit: replaced pads at 45k miles.
If only the inner pads had that much wear do you have any concern about the function of your calipers? They are supposed to be wearing evenly.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
73k on my truck and the stock pads are still decent. It'll probably need fronts in 5k miles or so. Rears are still in really good shape.

The thing with pads is this. You can get pads that perform better, but at the cost of more brake dust and shorter life. Or you can get pads that last longer, at the cost of reduced performance and generally more noise. I stick with OEM pads as they tend to last a long time and perform adequately for my needs. If I need more braking power then my trailer brake controller or the trailer brakes aren't adjusted properly.

Otherwise, pick your poison. Just don't get the cheapest because you'll get neither life nor performance from them.