Parts and Service warranty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TerryMc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi all, This is a long story, but I really need to tell it before I ask my question.

I'm just looking for some information here. Back in June I was on the road and my rear differential seized with no notice. No noise, no whine, no grinding, just a sudden lurch. I was lucky enough to get off the road and to a repair shop before it completely locked up, and after they quoted me more than the truck was worth for a new rear end I shipped the truck back home. I left it at the dealer who rebuilt the rear after waiting almost a month for parts, and I did that because of the parts and service warranty, and because I figured I was going to sell the truck as soon as I got it fixed. Didn't happen. I got the truck back in Mid-July. Two weeks into August, I had an emergency pop up and had to take the truck. It was a 700 mile trip to my destination and about 650 miles in I started hearing a really bad whine. By the time I got where I needed to go I knew that I had to get the truck fixed before I drove home. So I dropped the truck off at another dealer, who rebuilt my rebuilt differential under warranty because they said it was a bad part, but it took another week to get the new parts and a week to get the work done. 18 days total in the shop. This dealer told me to call Mopar, give them all my information, and find out what I would need to do to have my rental covered. Long story short, I called and Mopar told me what info I would need to send them and how the system worked. So I rented a car from Enterprise like they said, instead of the (much cheaper) rental company I use for work, drove home, and 18 days later drove back, picked up the truck and returned the rental. Took the truck home, and so far so good.

Long story short, when I called Mopar back they had no record of my original call, my name wasn't associated with the VIN, and they won't pay for the rental because there is no service contract on the truck. After much fussing, a lightbulb went off, and they told me to call Mopar Canada, because it's a Canadian market truck. Nothing they can do, bye now.

I've owned the truck for four years. I bought it in the US, from a US dealer. All of the work that I've had done on the truck has been done at a dealer (don't yell at me, I had my reasons) or dealers in the US. I filled out all the stuff on the RAM US website when I bought the truck.

So why would I need to call Canada? Is their parts warranty any different? Or was this just a transparent way to get me off the phone? Because it worked, I was laughing too hard to keep going, even though the guy assured me that it wasn't a joke. Has this happened to anyone else?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The answer to your question is "Yes" ...the warranties are different. And my understanding is Canadian truck warranties don't apply in the US, or at least that's what other's here have run into. It's been discussed here several times over the yrs. But there may be exceptions and details as you've run into. You might want to run this one by & start a conversation with RamCares on this site.

Last edited: