Broke manifold bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Logan Klein

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
My truck is a 2004 4.7 liter quad cab 6.5' bed 2 wheel drive. It's got some broke manifold bolts on the driver side. I want this fixed cause I hate the ticking. How much would it cost at a shop? or how hard is it to do myself? I know how to do the "weld-a-nut" method, seen my friends in highschool do it on their Fords. Can I do it that way on my Dodge?

Edit: Also what needs to be removed from wheel well area/engine bay to make it possible for the manifolds to easily come out and for me to get decent access to where the MIG gun needs to go. 4.7 doesn't take up very much space under the hood but it still doesn't look easy to get these manifolds out.

Bloody_Knuckles

USN 81-86
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Lots of videos on youtube. Yes, you can MIG weld a nut onto a broken bolt and get it out. There is even a jig to hold the nut in place if you have shaky hands like me.

Sun_Devil375

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Recently did this on my own truck and wasnt hard at all. You could do it from laying underneath the truck but I found it easiest to take off your wheel and wheel well liner and access the exhaust manifolds that way. It was really easy and I was lucky enough that when I had broken bolts they hung out far enough to grab them with a pliers and twist them out. While you are replacing the bolts you might as well do the exhaust manifold gaskets as well since they are super cheap and avoid you doing the work again a second time. I got both gaskets and all hardware for under $100 and completed in an hour or two. If you take it to a shop you are looking at $350-$500 range I believe my quote was for.

Brander

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
what length are the manifold bolts? did you get flange head or just put heavy washers under them?