Broken lugnut

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bbodling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
I was changing my brakes and broke a lug nut when u was putting my brakes on. Half of the lug is stuck on. Any ideas on how to get it off? The lug nut has been stripped more from trying to get it off

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 209

m4mckeen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
not the best idea but i would beat a slightly smaller socket on the lug with a big hammer and use a wrench to take it off.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Sorry to hear, at 130 ft-lbs that is not going to be fun. Always use anti-seize friends. The socket method seems to be the best idea, with an impact gun.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Antisieze would not have helped here. That looks like what we call a tuner nut. I have them on my 22s because regular nuts can't fit in the small hole. It was over torqued one or a few times creating a hairline fracture and today you just got lucky
I too would try hammering on a slightly bigger socket and going at it with the impact. It that doesn't work get a zip gun (air hammer lol) with a very fine chisel point and try hammering it in the unscrew direction. Watch out for your mags lol.
If you don't have access to these air tools you will have to get creative or bring it to a garage

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Also by using the air chisel, you might be able to either split the nut or loosen it up enough to use the socket trick. Heat and penetrating oil will be your friend. Another final (no fun) option is to drill out the stud and replace it once you get the wheel off.

Galion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Also by using the air chisel, you might be able to either split the nut or loosen it up enough to use the socket trick. Heat and penetrating oil will be your friend. Another final (no fun) option is to drill out the stud and replace it once you get the wheel off.

Highly advise against heating it unless you're going to replace the stud.

preachp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi Bbodling,

If all else fails center punch and drill out the stud then you can replace it and the lug nut will come off when you have the stud walls thin enough to collapse. Make sure you get a good center punch and start with a smaller drill then work up to the internal diameter of the lug nut.
Good luck and hope you get it sorted,

preachp

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yeah that's not gonna be fun especially if someone over torqued it. hammering on a socket and using an impact is probably going to be the best way without messing up the rim. if you have some time you could also put some penetrating oil on to help loosen it up

if you heat it you should replace the stud

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
All of the above recommending replacement if the stud is heated. Thanks. I wrote my recommend poorly.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I started to list reasons why I contemplated certain fixes could be problematic,,, but then decided it wasn't 'positive news', so no need to go there.

If all else fails, and you can't get to the rear of the hub flange to remove the stud head,,, eh,,,How bad do you want that rim?

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I started to list reasons why I contemplated certain fixes could be problematic,,, but then decided it wasn't 'positive news', so no need to go there.

If all else fails, and you can't get to the rear of the hub flange to remove the stud head,,, eh,,,How bad do you want that rim?

if it came that far i'd take a torch and try to melt the lug before messing up the rim

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've had good luck w/torch when it was steel/steel. (Bolts/bearing races, etc) Unclear how lucky I'd be with steel/cast aluminum as I've never been down that road,,,

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Big hammer and a tight socket and drive it on there. If the socket doesn't stick out far enough use a extension, so you can hit it good.

Flyguytki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had this exact problem about 2 months ago with the same type of lug nut. Go to lowes and get yourself a hole saw that is just slightly larger than lug itself. Put some thick tape around the outside of the hole on the wheel itself to protect it just incase. The hole saw will make a clean cut through the soft lug nut aluminum. Once you have drilled through 98% of the lug nut and are about to reach the wheel itself, rock the wheel back and forth to break the last small bit of aluminum. Worst case scenario is you end up kicking the lug itself an you have to replace it, best case is you remove the reminisce of the lug nut from the lug, put the wheel back on and reinstall a new lug nut.

Might sound confusing, if you have questions let me know, this was is the best method in my opinion because it will do ZERO damage to the wheel itself. If you heat it to try and force a socket on you may get discoloration which sounds expensive to me.

Last edited:

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I had this exact problem about 2 months ago with the same type of lug nut. Go to lowes and get yourself a hole saw that is just slightly larger than lug nut itself. Put some thick tape around the outside of the hole on the wheel itself to protect it just incase. The hole saw will make a clean cut through the soft lug nut aluminum. Once you have drilled through 98% of the lug nut and are about to reach the wheel itself, rock the wheel back and forth to break the last small bit of aluminum. Worst case scenario is you end up kicking the lug itself an you have to replace it, best case is you remove the reminisce of the lug nut from the lug, put the wheel back on and reinstall a new lug nut.

Might sound confusing, if you have questions let me know, this was is the best method in my opinion because it will do ZERO damage to the wheel itself. If you heat it to try and force a socket on you may get discoloration which sounds expensive to me.

I've never done this but like the idea.

m4mckeen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I had this exact problem about 2 months ago with the same type of lug nut. Go to lowes and get yourself a hole saw that is just slightly larger than lug nut itself. Put some thick tape around the outside of the hole on the wheel itself to protect it just incase. The hole saw will make a clean cut through the soft lug nut aluminum. Once you have drilled through 98% of the lug nut and are about to reach the wheel itself, rock the wheel back and forth to break the last small bit of aluminum. Worst case scenario is you end up kicking the lug itself an you have to replace it, best case is you remove the reminisce of the lug nut from the lug, put the wheel back on and reinstall a new lug nut.

That's a great idea

Raist11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I see no one has mentioned the first steps.

I find cussing and yelling at it can help immensely. Although you may have already used this approach. Sometimes it requires excessive amounts to get it loose. After spending the past week working on my 35' Class A motorhome replacing all four calipers, front shocks and a brake line, I've used this method repeatedly.

It's stinkin' hot here today and I just had to add my .02 worth. But I figured there is already some fantastic suggestions, patience will help most. Now I have to figure out how I'm going to access a brake reservoir that has no access at all. (brilliant RV engineering)

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I see no one has mentioned the first steps.

I find cussing and yelling at it can help immensely. Although you may have already used this approach. Sometimes it requires excessive amounts to get it loose. After spending the past week working on my 35' Class A motorhome replacing all four calipers, front shocks and a brake line, I've used this method repeatedly.

that's a fine method but i try to avoid it since the cussing is usually followed by getting out the biggest hammer i can find and beating it till it comes off or i hurt myself. the end result is usually blood everywhere and smashing the hell out of everything but what i wanted

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Sorry to hear, at 130 ft-lbs that is not going to be fun. Always use anti-seize friends. The socket method seems to be the best idea, with an impact gun.
If you are looking to kill somebody this works great. You NEVER put anti-seize on lug nuts or studs, you want the lug nuts to stay tight not come off while driving. Most of the time the lug nut is pretty much sealed off from most moisture and the wheels get taken off every 5000 to 10000 miles for rotation anyway.
I had the problem many times at the dealer after customers would visit discount tire/belle tire and one of the lug nuts is rounded off and/or cross threaded. Find a thin wall chrome 12 point socket that almost fits and pound it on and it will come right off, no heat, penetrating oil, or hole saws required. Snap on actually makes a socket for this but since it is snap on it costs an insane amount of money.