Broken winch terminal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Meister

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Soooooo I got into a hairy spot and had my brother inlaw pull the winch out, which he did not leave a few wraps on....still my bad. I ended up just buying a new terminal kit to put the winch back on. I plan on using red paint to mark the 15 ft mark. Cable is sitting in the bed of the truck as I am out of the country until Friday. Any tips on respooling it?

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
If you have to do it solo, try to find a gentle uphill grade to get some tension on the line. If all you have to work with is flat ground, you can lightly set the parking brake. With a partner, they can sit in the driver seat and lightly apply the service brakes.

Painting the wire rope is a good idea. With synthetic rope, I just put a half hitch around the drum so the rope can’t be pulled out too far. Works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
An issue that I have in winding up my wire rope solo is when ever I even slightly release the tension in order to unhook from an object during the last several feet it starts to uncoil. Without a partner to help hold the tightest tension on the wire rope when I unhook the last 4 to 6 feet it's difficult to keep it neatly aligned and tight on the spool. It winds up a bit loose, overlapped and sloppy due to the unraveling. It's just something that I have learned to accept.

Drove NE from Ft Carson to Limon today via Hwy 24 and passed by Peyton. Saw a "FARMERS" banner fluttering in the 100F breeze on the left of the road somewhere near it.

Last edited:

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
An issue that I have in winding up my wire rope solo is when ever I even slightly release the tension in order to unhook from an object during the last several feet it starts to uncoil. Without a partner to help hold the tightest tension on the wire rope when I unhook the last 4 to 6 feet it's difficult to keep it neatly aligned and tight on the spool. It winds up a bit loose, overlapped and sloppy due to the unraveling. It's just something that I have learned to accept.

Drove NE from Ft Carson to Limon today via Hwy 24 and passed by Peyton. Saw a "FARMERS" banner fluttering in the 100F breeze on the left of the road somewhere near it.

You still stationed at Carson? I was there from 02-10. Heard the springs are expensive as **** now.

Brave rifles :)

OP
OP
Meister

Meister

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I got medically retired out if Carson after I broke my back in 2012. Med board in 14. Been in this area for well **** 11 years now.

I bought my house at the right time and it's becoming more expensive and more crime and homeless I relate it to the marijuana sells

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
F$&!. I wanted to move back there. I’m in sweltering armpit South Georgia. I’m thinking about Logan Utah or somewhere in Utah.

Sadly I ended up getting lied to by a couple “women” in Florida and wel, let’s just say life sucks now with a certain social stigma. Utah seems like it might be favorable for a permanent spot that isn’t humid. :/

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AxleFolly