BTSI output circuit shorted /open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andremajic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hey guys and gals.

I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L

Just recently got a transmission light on. Tried the trick by holding in the odometer button and turning the key to the on position. Got "C Code" "3d 03" which showed nothing on google

Had to use an advanced snap on scan tool to get the code at my local shop. "Brake Transmission shift interlock output circuit shorted/open"

Started reading the diagnostics on the Field Service manual. First tried unplugging it. I am still able to shift out of park, so the solenoid must be in the "retracted" position but it isn't working.

(I'm thinking the PO disabled it and I have no history on the truck because he's dead and the dead tell no tales.)

Checked the ground pin (Red/black) on the BTSI 2 wire connection and it's grounded.

Manual shows testing the Ohms from the Gauge cluster C1, pin 3 to the BTSI signal input pin. I can't even get continuity, so there must be a break in the wire somewhere back where the wires disappear behind the dash. I haven't seen the entire wiring diagram, but is there any reason why I can't just run a brand new jumper cable from the signal output pin on the gauge cluster (Pin 3) straight to the BTSI signal input pin? Or is it spliced and shared with other stuff? The wire is blue/yellow. (reference Page 1481 of the service manual)

Thanks for your help!
Andy