bucking/rough shift - NO CEL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carpenter1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2007 dodge ram 1500 hemi 5.7 4x4 w/545RFE trans.

been having a bucking/rough shifting/miss feel for about a year. it gets worse and i try one fix then it gets better for a while then gets worse and i try another fix. it's better then worse again. on a 10 mile trip it might do it 10 times. usually happens when i'm feathering the pedal just cruising along 45-65. did notice from 1st to 2nd gear this morning it had sort of a delayed shift once.

never slips. just a buck.

so far i've replaced the crank sensor, plugs (one of which was loose, far back one i may have forgotten to torque down on last change), throttle body taken off and cleaned, map sensor cleaned or replaced can't remember, trans service with filters.

these were all done after the truck began to act up. after the work it ran fine. months later it would act up again and i would try the next thing (as listed above) then it would be fine for months or i'd barely notice a little miss feeling once in months of driving.

spoke to a mechanic who said so you performed a trans service and it fixed the problem for a while then it came back? yes. so he said take it to a place that can completely suck the fluid out and replace. did that earlier this evening. bucked once on the way home.

any help appreciated. what's throwing me is there's no CEL. no codes to go by. which makes me think it's not a sensor.

thanks

Jbaker33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
2007 dodge ram 1500 hemi 5.7 4x4 w/545RFE trans.

been having a bucking/rough shifting/miss feel for about a year. it gets worse and i try one fix then it gets better for a while then gets worse and i try another fix. it's better then worse again. on a 10 mile trip it might do it 10 times. usually happens when i'm feathering the pedal just cruising along 45-65. did notice from 1st to 2nd gear this morning it had sort of a delayed shift once.

never slips. just a buck.

so far i've replaced the crank sensor, plugs (one of which was loose, far back one i may have forgotten to torque down on last change), throttle body taken off and cleaned, map sensor cleaned or replaced can't remember, trans service with filters.

these were all done after the truck began to act up. after the work it ran fine. months later it would act up again and i would try the next thing (as listed above) then it would be fine for months or i'd barely notice a little miss feeling once in months of driving.

spoke to a mechanic who said so you performed a trans service and it fixed the problem for a while then it came back? yes. so he said take it to a place that can completely suck the fluid out and replace. did that earlier this evening. bucked once on the way home.

any help appreciated. what's throwing me is there's no CEL. no codes to go by. which makes me think it's not a sensor.

thanks

I've had this problem randomly as well. Mine would also tend to bog down. I'm 95 % sure that it's my MDS acting up. I have an 06 1500 QC 4X4 5.7L and I hate the mds. It kicks in and out at times it really shouldn't. It does it while accelerating which if my trans is shifting gears, makes it feel like the trans is messing up. I ended up taking off my stock muffler and leaving my 2 resonators (one front, one in back) and can now hear and feel when the MDS kicks in and out. If you have aftermarket exhaust you'll know what I mean. I'm hoping to get a tuner sometime in this lifetime to disable mds once and for all and I know it'll get rid of a few different problems that ive seen posted on dodge forums, including transmission anomolies. Just food for thought I guess lol Sorry for long reply