Bumper or 5th Wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
The TT v 5'r decision is even more difficult for me because my wife is disabled. I am looking at a toy-hauler because she can drive her scooter up the ramp and practically into the living room. We are looking for a "comfy" toy hauler, not a utilitarian style. Her scooter and my 4x4 golf cart are our "toys", we want the rest to be nice and cushy.

First, she sleeps in a home-style hospital bed. Such a bed is the same size as a single so I can use a regular single bed and her bed in the same footprint as a king bed.

Next, she also has a -very- difficult time getting into and out of a bath tub unassisted, especially the micro-sized in the typical trailer.

Finally, stairs are extremely difficult for her. Soooooo.....

I have not yet found a TT with a "residential bathroom" and few and far between with king beds. BUT, if I go with the same basic layout in a 5'r, we get the bathroom and bed but then my wife then has to climb stairs to get to either.

*MY* part of the equation is that I really don't want to lose my truck bed space with a hitch (but will, of course, to accommodate wifey). With an aux fuel tank and tool box, welder and welding gas tanks, that's just a lot of crap to take out every time we want to roll out.

Finally -if- we do end up with a 5'r, will do one of the 5th wheel to gooseneck conversions, since I already have the bed set up for a goose.

Mountaineer83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The only gooseneck conversion that is acceptable for warranty is the Reese Goosebox. It replaces the entire pin box . I started to get it and didn't. I regret it now because my B&W companion is heavy.

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
I actually never knew they had a 5th to goose adapter! I was just "window shopping" on eTrailer and saw the one they had available. Did a bit more investigating and calling around and am definitely planning to go with that if I end up with a 5'er... My work stuff can stay in the bed in their usual locations and all I need to do is carefully sneak the foot of the goose down the middle of the bed to the ball. Just like I do with our work trailers now!

Forgot to mention, another reason I don't want to have to load and unload the bed of the truck, I sometimes stay on a job site, or in a hotel near it. If I can just bring my home along with me, it makes it so much easier. But not if I have to reconfigure my truck every time, ya know?

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I actually never knew they had a 5th to goose adapter! I was just "window shopping" on eTrailer and saw the one they had available. Did a bit more investigating and calling around and am definitely planning to go with that if I end up with a 5'er... My work stuff can stay in the bed in their usual locations and all I need to do is carefully sneak the foot of the goose down the middle of the bed to the ball. Just like I do with our work trailers now!

Forgot to mention, another reason I don't want to have to load and unload the bed of the truck, I sometimes stay on a job site, or in a hotel near it. If I can just bring my home along with me, it makes it so much easier. But not if I have to reconfigure my truck every time, ya know?

Unless you want to deal with potential frame cracks, don’t get the adaptor. Go with the Goosebox if you want to use a ball in the bed.

0rion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
You know what you want and what works for you best but I will say everything you're describing sounds to me like a TT toy hauler would fit your needs best. That's just my opinion so take it for what it's worth. I'm just thinking with a TT you keep your truck bed, no stairs, and a garage for wife's scooter. Just sounds like TT material to me. If you're patient there are TT's with King beds out there

jfspry58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
One more thing to consider, though the ceiling is higher in the living area of a 5er, and you can get them with larger beds and showers, there is some ceiling slope toward the front of the bedroom. I'm 6'4'' and can comfortably take a shower in our 5er, the bed is a full length queen so it's fine too, BUT I have to duck when walking around the closet area in front. It's not a huge issue to me but it might be to someone else. Also, you will likely get a little better mileage with the TT but only 1-2 mpg so that wasn't a huge factor for me either. Not only do you lose most of your truck bed, but what you can put in there needs to be fairly heavy or well-secured. The nose cone of that trailer over your bed seems to create some serious wind currents around your hitch. At least these have been my experiences, and I've owned and towed both. As many have already said, find the trailer that suits your wants and needs and buy it. They make a huge selection because people's wants and needs vary greatly. The best advice I can give is, when you buy one, use it! That's the only way to truly enjoy it! It's no fun to watch your investment dry rot in the driveway while you pay for insurance and maintenance.IMG_4286a.jpg

Marine Les

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2018
Engine
5.9 cummins/3.6 Pentastar
The drag from the trailer or 5th isn't much different so I would not let that influence my choice. How far and how often you tow is what makes the choice easier. The 5th is more stable in wind and handling is better than bumper so for long distance at interstate speeds the 5th is the way to go as long as you can live with the loss of bed space. The rig will also be shorter overall with the same floor space, a plus but initial cost will be higher for the unit plus the bed mounted is more than a WDH. That said I went with a bumper for my latest unit because I want the bed with a cap on it for storage. Mine is a 30 footer and it has a full queen in it. Take your time making the decision to avoid a costly mistake.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
RV shows are a GREAT place to do research if you can find one in your area. I go every year when it comes through town even though I'm not in the market at all. It's just a chance to walk through all the different models, types and manufacturers in a relatively low pressure environment.

0rion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
RV shows are a GREAT place to do research if you can find one in your area. I go every year when it comes through town even though I'm not in the market at all. It's just a chance to walk through all the different models, types and manufacturers in a relatively low pressure environment.
I do that too. I enjoy just looking at all the new options that are out there.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I do that too. I enjoy just looking at all the new options that are out there.

For those that don't know how these shows work, many (most?) of the salesman are "show dogs." They travel from show to show as salesman and the ONLY thing they care about is selling you something TODAY. They represent a given local dealership but other than the show have zero affiliation with that dealer. If you can convince them that they aren't going to sell you anything and they have a spare minute most can tell some pretty colorful stories of life on the road ******* their souls and RVs :).

Marine Les

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2018
Engine
5.9 cummins/3.6 Pentastar
For those that don't know how these shows work, many (most?) of the salesman are "show dogs." They travel from show to show as salesman and the ONLY thing they care about is selling you something TODAY. They represent a given local dealership but other than the show have zero affiliation with that dealer. If you can convince them that they aren't going to sell you anything and they have a spare minute most can tell some pretty colorful stories of life on the road ******* their souls and RVs :).
Absolutely agree about the salesman, they will say anything to get a sale so take everything they say with a bag of salt. I like the shows to see the what's available but never buy one that way and don't want anything to do with salesman. After a show I go online to see what owners say about a specific unit.