Buying a 17 ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

D_murph2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Don't own one yet
Engine
Don't own one get
It's not, you are upside down on a 6 year old truck, and you want to trade it in for a top of the line Ram.

Couple things here. Not a top of line ram, just Laramie.. not a limited.. but second why would I trade my truck that's pretty much loaded with evey option but sunroof for a base model ram? That's a step backwards And sure I'll be upsidown but I want to see by how much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Couple things here. Not a top of line ram, just Laramie.. not a limited.. but second why would I trade my truck that's pretty much loaded with evey option but sunroof for a base model ram? That's a step backwards And sure I'll be upsidown but I want to see by how much

Because Ram offers packages i didnt see in other brands. EX you can get a big horn that has all the bells and whistles as a laramie except for like leather and cooled seats.

When i had my old '13 outdoorsman it had the heated seat, steering wheel, nav, back up cam, power slide rear window. when i went to my laramie in '15 i only gained a few things really. the only reason i stepped up was i lowered my payment by $50/mo so i could justify it.

Keep in mind that for every 1k you roll over it raises your payments by about 20 per month.

on a side note you should be able to get a laramie for under 40k before trade and ttl. around me there are dealers dumping them for 35-38k

hemipower95 2.0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd get a sport over a Laramie just saying, and sports aren't basic; they're heavily equipped too, and look better than a laramie in my opinion.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'd get a sport over a Laramie just saying, and sports aren't basic; they're heavily equipped too, and look better than a laramie in my opinion.

You know what they say about opinions. Get a Laramie, the sport can't get all the options a laramie can. Plus they don't look just like a express with a fake hood scoop, if you pay extra for the hood which makes it a sport. LOL

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh to be young again.....

OP, I'm gonna have to side with the guys sayin keep your truck.

You have a good start with what you have. Fight the urge to upgrade and keep it for another year or two...especially if it's a lariat. You'll only be 20 or so and might be happy you held off. The last thing you want to do starting off young is getting upside down in vehicle debt. And I can almost guarantee the dealer isn't gonna give you the $19k or $18k the calculator is telling you.

Of course...just my opinion.

Good luck.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Last time I had neg equity in a loan I vowed I wouldnt do it again. It is rediculous and frustrating watching the months go by remembering you are already upside down even if the vehicle is brand new. The only way it's not too bad IMO is if you have plenty of cash to pay off the negative and start fresh.

hemipower95 2.0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You know what they say about opinions. Get a Laramie, the sport can't get all the options a laramie can. Plus they don't look just like a express with a fake hood scoop, if you pay extra for the hood which makes it a sport. LOL

And a big horn is a laramie

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ya and a big horn has allot more options available than a SLT or express.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Your opinion. I've had big horn and now laramie. I wouldn't go back to the big horn now.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
As a somewhat old guy who once financed a car at 21.5% interest here's my advice: Keep your truck. The cool feeling of a new truck wears off long before the financial side of things . You're already upside-down. Don't make it worse.

You never know where you'll be or what you'll need in a couple years. Your vehicle needs could change drastically so don't make your vehicle a ball and chain. Trust me, you have your whole life for cars, houses, businesses and women to tie you down. Keep it simple and be happy with the truck you have (which is a nice truck btw).

The feeling of being well positioned in a vehicle (50%+ equity) is much better than the quickly fading gratification of a new ride.

Okay - stepping off the old guy soapbox.

OP
OP
D

D_murph2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Don't own one yet
Engine
Don't own one get
As a somewhat old guy who once financed a car at 21.5% interest here's my advice: Keep your truck. The cool feeling of a new truck wears off long before the financial side of things . You're already upside-down. Don't make it worse.

You never know where you'll be or what you'll need in a couple years. Your vehicle needs could change drastically so don't make your vehicle a ball and chain. Trust me, you have your whole life for cars, houses, businesses and women to tie you down. Keep it simple and be happy with the truck you have (which is a nice truck btw).

The feeling of being well positioned in a vehicle (50%+ equity) is much better than the quickly fading gratification of a new ride.

Okay - stepping off the old guy soapbox.

Thabks for the advice everyone! I decided to keep the truck! I'll wait Untill it's paid off then think about trading it