cam change-engine wont run

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ruff84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
After you check and make sure you have the correct pushrods in, check to make sure they are all seated.

When i check mine instead of turning over by hand just pull the fuse for the fuel pump, and then have someone bump the key to on and watch each rocker and make sure they move up and down.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Could pull the ASD relay to kill the pump along with the ignition but alow the starter to bum along.

OP
OP
B

blazintowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
10-4, got it! Where is the best place to order new pushrods? Whats the difference between the 5.7 and the 6.1 rods? are they just beefier? longer too?

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
6.1 came out in 06 or 07 I believe. They are prob gonna fuss and moan and want a VIN# to look up any parts. I dont think I have the PN#s wrote down anywhere for the 6.1 rods at this job. Let me see if I can find em for ya.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Here ya go:

6.1 intake push rod : 5037476AB
6.1 exhaust rush rod : 5037475AB

OP
OP
B

blazintowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks again Ken! Got another tech question for you all. As far as the timing and timing marks go that are marked on the cam gear, the manual says the mark on the cam gear when pointed at 12 oclock, should align with the single dark colored link on the timing chain. I had to roll over the crank close to 50 times before the single dark colored link aligned with the pointer on the cam ring/gear. Is this normal? Now if i keep spinning the crank, by hand of course, the next time the pointer comes up to 12 oclock at TDC it will not be aligning with the single dark colored link anymore. Any ideas?

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Im guessing he didnt put the colored link back in the right spot when he tossed back on the timing set. Best thing to do is get a cam degree wheel and check it against TDC. The marking on the chain is just for quick ID.

OP
OP
B

blazintowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Is it normal though for the cam chain link to move position's after each engine rotation? I would assume that the timing mark on the cam gear would align with the chain colored link on every other revolution? No?

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
With Cam Triangle mark at 12 O'clock your top chain big gear has a notch in it and will be aligned with the pin in your cam and the crank marks will be bang on to 2 o'clock.

google Cammin Ram and you'll get cam install procedure with pics of this exact part of your install. I have used that for 3 cam installs and never had a problem. as for the chain mark i only worried about it last time when i changed the chain.

Sorry but your dealer parts guy sucks. If you need 6.1 engine parts just tell him its for a 2006 charger SRT-8.

Last edited:

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Only other parts he may want to replace and its up to the OP is the cam bolt and crank bolt. I would just out of the not knowing if they were just installed on the rebuild or not.

OP
OP
B

blazintowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks again everyone, i know this info is priceless! I have been following the Cammin Ram page and it is great. Also the dodge dealer/service here is worthless, cant look anything up with out the VIN, too lazy to do it the old fashioned way! Also stay away from Valley Head Service in Canoga Park, worthless. i am going to replace the two bolts, cam and crank. One question though, do you have to use a balancer installer or can i use my old bolt to pull it on and replace it with a new one and torque to spec.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
You will need a puller to pull it but far as the install just toss it back on and trq it to spec. Deff make sure you rotate the crank after you install it along with the valve train to make sure the rods are seated.

ruff84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
To reinstall the dampner/pulley Throw it in the oven on 300 for a few minutes and then take it out and run and it will slide right on the crank.

Be quick because it will cool off quick.

OP
OP
B

blazintowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The RAM is finally running and back on the road again. Did the comp cam 260HR swap and have been trying to put a few miles on her. Thanks to all of you for your help...! I also got the SC3815 and keep getting the code P0172. Rich 1/1. Have been doing research on here to remedy the issue. i know I had a couple exhaust leaks which I plan on taking care of after work today. Hope it helps. Being in California I have to get it to pass SMOG. i took it yesterday and when he hooked it up to his computer, he said there was a cuople issues. The exhaust leak, the P0172 code, and also said that since it had been disconnected (battery) said it was not reading some of the values, came up as not ready on his computer for the "catalyst" and 02 sensor. Guess my main question is when trying to pass a smog check, should I program stock, 87 oct. or 91 oct? for best chance of passing? also should I replace the 02 sensor?

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Congrads on the truck being back up and running. You should be able to pass the smog test on any of the tunes but deff finish up the exhaust because even small leaks will freak out the o2's. How does it feel going down the road? Im willing to bet its not showing the long term trims that they check for. I think its over 500 miles it has to go.