Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dangrega33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Hi there guys,

So I got a 2016 2500 about a month ago and it had a leer camper shell/truck cap. I wanted the cap to lock and unlock with the truck with remote or when truck is unlocked at the handle. I got the Pop & Lock Keyless Remote Entry Kit PL9772 in order to do this. My thought is that I would tap into the factory tailgate lock actuator wires and power the camper shell actuator using that wiring. Well, I tapped into the wires and it won't activate the actuator. Thinking I got a defective actuator, I tried it on a 12V battery and it worked perfectly fine. I checked voltage on the tailgate actuator and it is fast, but I believe that I am seeing a 12V signal when the lock or unlock button is pushed (12V on one wire when lock and 12V on the other when unlock). My searching and I came across somebody that said it may be a PWM (Power Width Modulation) signal, but I'm not really sure if that is correct. Why is this actuator not working with the tailgate lock actuator? If this is not a true 12V signal, then what can I tap into to get the camper shell to work on lock and unlock? I'm really frustrated and don't know where to go. I've looked everywhere online for something. Hope somebody can help or point me in the right direction.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I have a 2015 Leer 100XL cap that I bought new with the power lock installed at the factory. It is wired in parallel to the tailgate power lock. It has always worked great since installed.
The lock/unlock actuator works by pulsing +12V on one of the wires depending if your locking or unlocking. You have to use a Max capture function found on some volt meters to see the voltage as the pulse is short(about 1/2 a second). If I'm not mistaken both wires should show that they're grounded until you try to lock/unlock.
I would make sure the cap latch/lock moves freely. Double check the electrical connections and voltage at the new lock actuator.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I have a 2015 Leer 100XL cap that I bought new with the power lock installed at the factory. It is wired in parallel to the tailgate power lock. It has always worked great since installed.
The lock/unlock actuator works by pulsing +12V on one of the wires depending if your locking or unlocking. You have to use a Max capture function found on some volt meters to see the voltage as the pulse is short(about 1/2 a second). If I'm not mistaken both wires should show that they're grounded until you try to lock/unlock.
I would make sure the cap latch/lock moves freely. Double check the electrical connections and voltage at the new lock actuator.

Did the same thing with my 14 Sport and ARE Z-series cap. Worked great out of the gate. Be sure you have wired plus to plus if required buy the cap lock and that the caps lock is synced with the tailgate lock so they both have the same action.