Camper shell old guyish?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

preachp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi All,
I personally don't care for having to shovel several feet of snow out of the back of my truck before I can drive it. I also like the idea that I can haul stuff that cannot be left in the weather. Also because I have a Hi-rise cap it can hold items over 4 feet high. If I want to go hunting an air mattress and a sleeping bag and I am good to go. I already have a portable camp stove and a portable frig. Some may not like it but I love it on top of all that I have about 200 lbs on my back wheels to help with traction.
What ever your taste the main point is enjoy what you have and have some appreciation for others vision.
Have a great day,

preachp

wardc0826

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Snugtop**ARE** Leer

How do you all feel about the different brands of caps?
I looked at Snugtop and Leer for my 2014 2500 mega cab.
I liked the snugtop best but maybe I didn't look close enough! Can you give me any insights as to pros and cons for each brand?

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How do you all feel about the different brands of caps?
I looked at Snugtop and Leer for my 2014 2500 mega cab.
I liked the snugtop best but maybe I didn't look close enough! Can you give me any insights as to pros and cons for each brand?
I did find this review
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=olooWSgrrUE

I am leaning toward ARE I think. Either X or Overland.

TheRealCap11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Awesome thread everyone, great looking trucks in here.

How have you found the camper shells to be as far as being water tight? I have a BakFlip FX4 hard tri folder on the bed of my 1500 and have had a bunch of issues with water getting into the bed and getting all of my "stuff" wet. I use my truck mostly for transporting personal items and a bunch of stuff that can't/shouldn't get wet...at all!

Hoping to hear these things provide a better seal from the weather, appreciate all of your input/responses!

HemiPower36

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 3.92 8-speed
Engine
hemi 5.7
I would totally get one but they want so much damn money!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saltbreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Been thinking about getting one for while. Looking at leer xr. What do you guys think, will it look good on my truck?

cf80f67bb8eb25fad9b8c824044879dc.jpg

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Been thinking about getting one for while. Looking at leer xr. What do you guys think, will it look good on my truck?

cf80f67bb8eb25fad9b8c824044879dc.jpg

Love mine. Ended up with the XR rather than the XL and used the difference to get the upgrades I wanted (remote locks tied into truck fob and front slider)

Saltbreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Love mine. Ended up with the XR rather than the XL and used the difference to get the upgrades I wanted (remote locks tied into truck fob and front slider)

Looks good. Do you happen to have a picture of the side and back?

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I will be getting a ATC topper for mine at the end of April, I have had about 9 different toppers with most of them being the ATC and all have fit great and color match has been great.
Nice thing is you can just take them off if you need to use the bed for larger things.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
How have you found the camper shells to be as far as being water tight? I have a BakFlip FX4 hard tri folder on the bed of my 1500 and have had a bunch of issues with water getting into the bed and getting all of my "stuff" wet. I use my truck mostly for transporting personal items and a bunch of stuff that can't/shouldn't get wet...at all!

I have the Leer 100 XL and no issues with water leaking into the bed. Been through several torrential rains and car washes, no leaks. I went with a cap as I wanted the extra storage space out of the elements.

JIMBOX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
:) Me too, no leaks with the ARE either-
SUNP0105%20-%20Copy_zpsx4vtjch4.jpg

:crazy: JIMBO

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I was originally going to go with the ARE, but heard they had **** customer service from multiple sources. Not the thing you want to deal with at the end of a long logistics train in Alaska.

Sandbox

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
it really comes down to personal preference and what you use your truck for. For now, we use the bed of the truck too much for hauling crap so I need it open. Once we get a trailer for hauling, I may consider a shell. I kind of like the idea.

DougM55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just got my craigslist find back from paint. I like the look ok. Looks a little like the Ram Charger concept. The functionality is great for camping, boating and such. 55f9ea77e443b88c43a7357c3928e85c.jpg6e5effb7e71016c7be02751c8fdc9af2.jpg

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Just installed. ARE brand. Now I need a boot to seal the windows between CAB and TOPPER. Any suggestions. And yes OLD :D And yes for Stella the Rottie

View attachment 195018

Be careful using the seal/gasket/boot between the cab and top, they are notorious for wearing the paint away from the cab. Happened to my Ford quite a while back so unless they have been redesigned be careful about using them.

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Be careful using the seal/gasket/boot between the cab and top, they are notorious for wearing the paint away from the cab. Happened to my Ford quite a while back so unless they have been redesigned be careful about using them.

Thanks, I seem to remember that from trucks past. Gotta try something.