Camping 2024

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
Just looking at fuel right now…average in my area right now in eastern Ontario is between $5.65-6.04 per gallon. Using gas buddy, I can see northern NY is in a range of $3.40-3.60 per gallon. Now, I fudge high for this example, so even $3.60 at a 30% exchange is $4.68 per gallon in Canuck bucks. A dollar cheaper per gallon than up here.

Most stations in northern NY is $3.40…so $4.42 per gallon for this Canuck. So, even our cheapest gas up here is $1.23/gallon more expensive.

Now, math for you, my American friend, would be different as your exchange rate goes the other way!

Newfoundland is a highly under-rated destination! One of our best trips!
I am not sure if you are saying I have it better when crossing the border or worse. However, I can tell you that even with the exchange we pay much more in NL for everything we purchase. Not to mention the 15% HST! We have wonderful friends there and own a small one bedroom cottage in an outport island community that we purchased about 15 years ago. The price was right but the cottage was a mess and took me the better part of four summers / falls to repair with a ton of help from my Newfie friends. The prices will not stop us from making the trip. Yes, NL is an under-rated destination but we don't tell too many about it. Like so many other places it has changed dramatically in the last 20 years. Too bad, NL is losing much of it's charm to growth and influence of money. i.e. The new hotel on Fogo.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I am not sure if you are saying I have it better when crossing the border or worse. However, I can tell you that even with the exchange we pay much more in NL for everything we purchase. Not to mention the 15% HST! We have wonderful friends there and own a small one bedroom cottage in an outport island community that we purchased about 15 years ago. The price was right but the cottage was a mess and took me the better part of four summers / falls to repair with a ton of help from my Newfie friends. The prices will not stop us from making the trip. Yes, NL is an under-rated destination but we don't tell too many about it. Like so many other places it has changed dramatically in the last 20 years. Too bad, NL is losing much of it's charm to growth and influence of money. i.e. The new hotel on Fogo.

He was saying it was cheaper to RV in the states. You said "I find it the complete opposite", now you're saying you DO pay more for everything in NL/Canada. So you probably both agree, like I do, everything costs way too much in canada and it's cheaper to RV in the states.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Holy smokes! I wouldn't even remotely call that "camping".

Nope...only way I'm being that close to another trailer/camper is in the infield at daytona...other than that nope....lol

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We will be doing more tent camping trips. We have a few backpacking trips planned.

Did I mention we dislike people. Camping sure hasn't gotten any less popular. I hate making reservations months out, so we decided to go back to the Hey, it's Thursday where we going for the weekend! Even if that means strapping a pack and putting miles on the boots!

We will still be taking our camper. Each year we think about getting a new one, we just can not justify the prices. Just like a new truck. I would love to buy a new RAM...but not at 60k for 3 years old.

I will just keep on keeping on with our old ones.

View attachment 540899View attachment 540900

Now those are peaceful lookin camp area pics and how i do it when i do feel the urge to go,missed last year,kinda never got around to it reasons.im even older school,i take a tent,albeit with a blow up mattress(my fat a** and back cant handle the sleepin bag height anymore and its a big tent)with a laptop for a movie every night,i prefer to hear the sounds of nature when i fall asleep.
no one all up in your business in those spaces either.
P.s.wife says I dislike people also....lol

netshadoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi/no eTorque

Lol! Depends on how you look at it!! :D

For me, it's better to RV in the States. For you, I'm not too sure. You'd have to do the math with the American exchange rate. I would guess it's about a 30% discount. Even so, Canada is expensive, so the exchange may not offset it that well.

I haven't been back to NL in years. My family is from NB/NS, so we head there quite a bit.

Looking forward to retirement so we can explore more of both great Countries.

He was saying it was cheaper to RV in the states. You said "I find it the complete opposite", now you're saying you DO pay more for everything in NL/Canada. So you probably both agree, like I do, everything costs way too much in canada and it's cheaper to RV in the states.

That is correct! :)

2018power wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
We are planning a trip to the Middle of the state Fl.. This place allows pets and sxs and on a lake also. I bought a powerwagon so I don't really care about gas prices to an extent. I plan on traveling quite a bit more after I retire.

OP
OP
4xdad

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Gas prices weren’t an issue when I bought my pw and I had a really good job. That’s done now but at least the truck is paid off. We will still try to get out but no long hauls Jasper is only 2 1/2 hours away so it’s not that far

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
when netshadoe said it ws cheaper for him to RV in the US, I said I found it the opposite when I go to NL. By "opposite" I meant more expensive in NL. ( even with the favorable exchange rate ) Point was even with the increase expense we still go.

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We have a more fuel efficient vehicle for trips/camping. I was cruising at 90-100 yesterday for an hour and the computer was telling me 6.5L/100km in my wife's pathfinder.

Definitely go, unless the cost of the trip will lose you a house or something.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
As I write this I am parked on the beach in Rockport Tx. Down from Ks. Got family here. In late May heading to Minnesota for a grandson's graduation. Probably also weekends at a local lake during the summer. Got Rid of a timeshare just before the pandemic to spend the dollars on gas instead. Yes, worked hard to be able to travel now.
we love going down Rockport/Port Aransas area.