Camshaft failure 2017 Hemi?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mikeffoxford

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 hemi
Loud knocking with a P0300 code showing. After I changed the plugs and the coils for two cylinders I haven’t seen the code again but it’s not been driven much due to the knocking. So….. does this sound like a camshaft / lifter failure? I am a complete ******* when it comes to engines. I know absolutely nothing about them. I have a video but I’m unsure how to attach it. Only have the option to attach pictures.
I have a 2013 Ram 1500 and had misfire cylinder 5 after all the plugs were done at 100000 mile suggestion it was bad cam and new cam shaft was installed Dodge never issued recalls on bad cams from 2012 to2014 models

OP
OP
C

Crosby231

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2013 Ram 1500 and had misfire cylinder 5 after all the plugs were done at 100000 mile suggestion it was bad cam and new cam shaft was installed Dodge never issued recalls on bad cams from 2012 to2014 models
I don’t think they’ve ever issued recalls on any cam issues that I can find. Certainly not the 2017

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don’t think they’ve ever issued recalls on any cam issues that I can find. Certainly not the 2017
I'm not aware of any recall for lifters/cam replacements.

What I did hear of recently was a case where Ram charged the customer $400 and paid for the rest of the repair on an out-of-warranty truck. The customer was a "good customer" and had purchased a few new cars or trucks from this dealership in the past. Plus the customer had the dealer perform all of their maintenance services.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 100166 miles.

rsavant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just had a new engine put in a well maintained 2016 with 130k. It was mine up to 90k. It is now my son's. He started it one morning and it sounded like a rocker arm hitting the valve cover in the front left bank. No one wanted to do just the valve train. Had a remanufactored motor with 3 years/unlimited mileage put in. $6000.00 after taxes.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry to hear that.

Does the dealer give any kind of warranty on the work? 60 days, 90 days? That would be one reason to go with the Mopar stuff. I thought I read they improved the lifter rollers (larger bearings)?? If those two are the case, I'd consider going Mopar. Having a dealer warranty their work, could be a big deal.
I'm not aware of any recall for lifters/cam replacements.

What I did hear of recently was a case where Ram charged the customer $400 and paid for the rest of the repair on an out-of-warranty truck. The customer was a "good customer" and had purchased a few new cars or trucks from this dealership in the past. Plus the customer had the dealer perform all of their maintenance services.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 100166 miles.

Worth asking the questions.

Just had a new engine put in a well maintained 2016 with 130k. It was mine up to 90k. It is now my son's. He started it one morning and it sounded like a rocker arm hitting the valve cover in the front left bank. No one wanted to do just the valve train. Had a remanufactored motor with 3 years/unlimited mileage put in. $6000.00 after taxes.
Dirt cheap

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah. I was quoted 8k today. I’m curious if it’s possible to replace the lifters and the cam. With lifter failures plus knocking is it even worth it to try?
It's all in your wants, needs, and where you are in the big picture. I will give you an opinion. This opinion is based upon being a professional Automotive Technician for 47+ years. I'm in my 48th year. Said opinion is galvanized by personal experiences along with witnessing what different folks have done throughout the years. This is spiced with observation of outside influences and looking at motivations.

Here goes. Do you plan to keep the truck long term?
Does your financial picture allow for a new vehicle?
Do you even want a new vehicle?
Are you influenced by NADA or KBB guidelines, or, like me, you look at the value of a car in a wider scope beyond Insurance actuaries and Madison Avenue bean counters?

My cars have zero rust. They have never been wrecked beyond slight dents, so the chassis and body are solid. The upholstery is decent and the accessories all work.
I'm in the process of replacing the engine in my wife's car. It's a 2007 Kia Sorento EX with 234,000 miles on it. Prior owner neglected oil changes; sludge ensued, and now the VVT system malfunctions and the oil light comes on going down the road. It's worth it to us, because we abhor debt for a depreciating liability.
Anyone who tries to convince me that a vehicle is an asset doesn't look at reality through the same lens as my wife and me.

All that said, I'd put a new (rebuilt) engine in it.