Can’t keep a set of tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Biggs36

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
I got a 15 2500 that I can’t keep tires on to save my life. Truck just broke 38k and I’m about to put my fourth set on. I rotate every oil change and get the alignment checked about every four months. Anyone else having this problem?

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Can u give more details? Scuffing inside or out, front or rear, cupping inside or out pics? There can be alot of causes for tire wear, shocks, bushings on control arms/leaf springs I Beleive trac bar. Do you keep buying the same brand? What ply rating are you getting?

OP
OP
B

Biggs36

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Got coil spring suspension all four corners. Front started wearing bad on the outside edge within the last few weeks. Rears are just wearing fast. Last two sets were the same brand and I buy f range

image.jpg

image.jpg

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Do you tow a heavy trailer? Sorry for so many questions. Just trying to figure it out.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Yeah something definately doesn't add up. Especially being a straight axle. I'd want to be right there watching them do the alignment and get a print out because honestly on these trucks there aren't many adjustments and I think only toe would cause you to wear like that. And get a 4 wheel alignment, make sure everything is straight and where it wants to be. Most places only do front wheel alignments but if your rear is off you'll always be correcting but not really noticing because it's aligned "straight-ish" with the machine.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Make sure the lug nuts are extra tight.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Not too tight, 130 Ft Lbs, why I always check mine with a torque wrench, and I know IRS was being tongue in cheek, LOL,.. Figured just put that info out there, Most nuts are 22 MM also,

OP
OP
B

Biggs36

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Yeah something definately doesn't add up. Especially being a straight axle. I'd want to be right there watching them do the alignment and get a print out because honestly on these trucks there aren't many adjustments and I think only toe would cause you to wear like that. And get a 4 wheel alignment, make sure everything is straight and where it wants to be. Most places only do front wheel alignments but if your rear is off you'll always be correcting but not really noticing because it's aligned "straight-ish" with the machine.
That makes a lot of sense the last place I went only did the front, I’m going to have to call around and see who’s machine mine will fit on. Dealership definitely won’t fit on

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Go to a truck shop or call around for one with there own truck alignment rack. Tires with that off road tread will definitely tend to where faster then a highway tread in my opinion. Also your in Florida? Could hot roadways also have an effect?

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I thought of that but still wouldn't explain edge wear like it's doing

Dmopar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The hD Rams always eat the outer front tires, you can align to thurens specs and it will help but not eliminate it. Is your truck leveled? Might need a new adjustable track bar. If you drive with a heavy foot all the time I could see burning through tires

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I don't see him burning through sets in 10,000 miles though. I know a heavy foot dont help but I'm getting over 40,000 out of mickey Thompson atzs, and the ridge grapplers are supposed to outlast them.

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Perhaps try a tire designed for on-road use. It'll be quieter and more traction on the pavement. I just read exhaustively of all the options out there and went with Michellin Defender LTX, and they have a 70K mile 6 year warranty IIRC.