Can you change the default volume?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2018NightRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hey everyone! It's my first post here. I just picked up a 2018 Ram 1500. I put in a system this weekend with the factory 8.4 Uconnect. It consists of a sub amp and a 4 channel for the door/ dash speakers. It's tapping into the high level output from the Uconnect and everything is great except for one thing... the volume for the navigation and phone are way too loud. So today I turned the gains in the amp down all the way but the problem is it's still too loud.
It appears that when someone calls the unit will default to volume 15 no matter what volume I left the last phone call at. So my question is...i know there's a lot of things u can tweak in the settings... So is there a way to lower that default volume it goes too?

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
My 2013 8.4 has setting for volume of nav/uconnect, think it is under navigation settings or phone setting, can't remember, I don't have truck here at work right now. Mine was too quiet, so had to turn it up.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On mine if you change the volume while on the phone it will stay at that level until you change it.... same with navigation.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like you used a summing device after the amp to install the speakers. A few downsides to this... #1 is the issue you have #2 you sound signal is less than ideal, to say the least. I would suggest upgrading to the PAC piece or the DSR1 to get your signal before the amps. This would solve your issues and improve your sound quality tremendously.

OP
OP

2018NightRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thanks for the input guys. It definitely doesn't stay where I put it. I literally put it at "1" every time. And it'll stay there for the duration of the call / route. But if someone else calls later or the next time I get in the truck it's obnoxiously loud.
I will search again in the phone settings or nav settings but I didn't see anything when I looked yesterday... but definitely worth another shot.
Adrian I don't have a "summing device" (at least I don't think so because I don't know what that is). It's a kicker KEY 4 ch amp for the mids and highs. It accepts high level inputs so I cut the speaker wires coming out of the Uconnect. Wired the speaker lines to the input on the 4 channel KEY amp. And also took the front speaker output to the high level in for the subwoofer amp. Then the amplified signal from the 4 channel amp goes out to the other side of speaker wires I cut. It's hard to explain I guess but simply the speaker wires from the U connect output goes to the input of the amp and then the output of the amp goes back out to side of the speaker wires that go to the speakers themselves.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok - I assumed since Nav and 8.4 you had factory Alpine, which would explain your issues.

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
I;ve never understood why the Nav and phone aren't directly related to the volume knob

OP
OP

2018NightRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
My 2013 8.4 has setting for volume of nav/uconnect, think it is under navigation settings or phone setting, can't remember, I don't have truck here at work right now. Mine was too quiet, so had to turn it up.

Any chance you can put a step by step? I have a 2018 and I heard they have done some changes but I want to be 100% sure

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
I'm also interested in any default volume setting for the 2018 8.4 UConnect. I don't have Nav, but when using Android Auto the 'Voice of Google' is way too loud. As described by 2018NightRam, whenever Google Assistant says something the volume setting is at 15. Turning down the volume works for that particular action (text message, for example) but the next time I use Google Assistant it's too loud and I notice once again the volume had been set to 15 again.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
This problem is discussed to death on the Google forums and has been for 2 years. The suggested fix is to adjust the volume of the Google Assistant voice when it's speaking too loudly to a comfortable level and that is supposed to force Google Assistant to 'learn' the new volume level. I seriously doubt this is going to work--"It's too loud, turn down the volume" (duh, I never would have thought of that!), but we'll see. This fix seems to depend on the vehicle. Some say it works, others say the voice merely reverts to the same overly loudness the next time.

Another solution said there was a volume adjustment inside Google Maps with three settings, Quiet, Loud, Louder, or somesuch. I'll look for that too, but it won't solve the problem with Google Assistant's booming voice on text messages.

droopie85gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On my 2017 I just got, the volume for texts/nav only is adjustable while it's talking. The rest of the time, you're adjusting the system volume. It took me two days to figure out why I couldn't hear texts unless the radio volume was cranked up past 20.

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
On my 2017 I just got, the volume for texts/nav only is adjustable while it's talking. The rest of the time, you're adjusting the system volume. It took me two days to figure out why I couldn't hear texts unless the radio volume was cranked up past 20.
Sure, but after the nav/text voice is done speaking the next time it speaks the volume is jacked back up to 15 again.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

TJames

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Sure, but after the nav/text voice is done speaking the next time it speaks the volume is jacked back up to 15 again.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

That is not the case for my 2018 sport. Stays where I leave it until I shut off the truck.

Edit: I saw that this is when you are using android auto. (I use apple car play) and what I stated is true of the factory nav as well as all the features on apple car play. Definitely sounds like its related to the android auto. hope you can get it figured out that would drive me nuts.

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
This is happening with the 8.4 UConnect system in my 2018 Big Horn, not just with Android Auto.

Example: My phone is not hooked up to Android Auto. I'm listening to music at a volume setting of 16. (Source of music--radio, USB--makes no difference.) I get a phone call. I answer using the steering wheel button. The voice of the caller is LOUD! I mean painfully loud. I turn the volume down to...1. Yes, 1. A setting of 2 is too loud.

When the call is completed I turn the volume back up to 16 or so.

This is not the way this should work. Does anyone know how to get this to work correctly?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk