cant get my truck to start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fastdudez28

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l 2wd extended cab
hello

I drive a 1998 dodge ram 1500 5.9L 2WD extended cab at first my starter was going out some times when try to start my truck nothing would happen i would tap on the old starter then it will start i replaced the starter yesterday after replacing the starter with no problem(i did bench test the new starter before i installed i) the truck is doing the same thing the only way i can get it to start is to disconnect the wire going to the starter from the fuse box under the hood and give it direct power

when i turn the key to step 2 all the lights come on like normal its just when i put it in step 3 to turn over nothing happens the relay does click but i am not getting any power with the multimeter on the wire that goes to the starter from the ignition switch i checked the fuses and relays.i figured it as an ignition switch so i spent $70 at autozone on a new switch and come to find out that i need to buy a new key cylinder also for some reason my old one does not fit in the new ignition switch's and that's another 60 dollars so now i am here before dropping more money on non refundable parts if anyone had any ideas .

OP
OP
F

fastdudez28

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l 2wd extended cab
Replaced your ASD relay?

i can start my truck if i run direct power to the wire that goes to the starter from the fuse box so the engine is getting fuel the engine wont even turn over at all would the asd relay do this?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
i can start my truck if i run direct power to the wire that goes to the starter from the fuse box so the engine is getting fuel the engine wont even turn over at all would the asd relay do this?

Nope, I had misunderstood you.

Since you replaced your ignition switch, did you check the rest of the wiring on the column for pinched or broken wires?

OP
OP
F

fastdudez28

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l 2wd extended cab
i could not replace the switch due to the fact the my key barrel will not fit in it i guess dodge updated it so i would have had to spend 70 dollars at autozone for the key and barrel

UPDATE: problem solved the problem was a bad fuse in the pcd and a loose black and orange wire going to the ignition switch i had to re strip the wire thanks for all who helped i am stuck with a brand new ignition switch from auto zone i cant use i think they should at least give store credit autozone does not refund electrical parts

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Good to hear that you're back up and running again.

Yeah, AZ doesn't refund electrical parts....stupid IMO.

Could always sell it on CL for MSRP like everyone else does. :D