cant put more than a gallon of coolant in the radiator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AF Twin Turbo

Reaction score
Ram Year
1995 Ram 2500
Engine
5.9L Mag
new to me 95 ram 2500, doing a full tune-up and fluid change.

I drained the coolant, this stuff was rust colored and disgusting, glad I am doing the change.

Closed the ****, poured in two bottles of the Prestone heavy rust stuff, and poured in almost a gallon of distilled water. The radiator filled up, and i can't cycle it down to add more. I ran the engine briefly, squeezed the coolant lines to get the air out, nothing has helped.

I empty the coolant out of the can and realize only about 2 gallons came out. I see that there should be about 5 gallons of coolant in the radiator, and then more in the rest of the system. So should i drive this for a bit and let it cycle through, and let the cleaner do its thing, or do a full fluid drain from all the hoses and start over again?

nussdawg395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Start it up and let it run and get hot with the rad. cap off and it will eventually cycle when the t-stat opens up. There should also be a drain plug on the block to get all the coolant out.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Start it up and let it run and get hot with the rad. cap off and it will eventually cycle when the t-stat opens up. There should also be a drain plug on the block to get all the coolant out.

Yup , that drain plug is on the pass side

OP
OP
A

AF Twin Turbo

Reaction score
Ram Year
1995 Ram 2500
Engine
5.9L Mag
ok sounds good, i didn't let it run too long in case there was a lot of air in there, it would overheat. thanks!