Carven Progressive Exhaust ordered! Am I gonna like it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Well, it was a bit of a fight! We had to cut off all 3 old clamps and wrestle the tail pipes out of the muffler like a dentist pulling a stubborn tooth! But once that was over, the old muffler slid right out and the new Carven took it's rightful place! It was a bit of a struggle getting the tail pipes to line up and I think the right side is still in a little too far but I'll be adding the dual wall stainless 5" tips soon! The only problem is a couple tiny leaks at the new clamps but I think they will seal up as I run it...I'm going to re-torque them in a week.

Now on to the good part! The sound is amazing! It is exactly what I wanted! It really cracks at cold start and then proceeds to idle down to a low, deep rumble. Pull out on the road and mash the pedal and it sounded like the green flag at Daytona! When I let off, it would again die down to a nice, deep rumble and when the ECO mode kicks in, the sound was almost quieter than the factory exhaust! It does bubble a little bit when in ECO and you feather the pedal a little to speed up or what ever, but it is not bad at all...kinda reminds me of the Huey ride I had at Ft. Indian Town Gap years ago! On the highway, I didn't notice any drone at all! It actually gets really quite until you get on it again! It simple sounds awesome!!

So yeah, I would defiantly recommend the Carven Progressive to any of us old heads out there that want some noise but only WHEN we want it! LOL! Progressive is perfect! I'll post a review of the Competitor once we get it installed on my son's 2015! That should be fun but I hope it doesn't make me regret not buying a Competitor myself, Haha!

Here are a couple short videos...uploaded to my server instead of the whole Youtube thing...

Great write-up, and thanks for taking the time to do so.

Looking forward to hearing the comparison with your sons setup.

Car guys (and Truck guys, lol) get it. When we hear the sound it’s as if the Gods have opened up the skies and are calling us.

Tesla and Prius owners will never know the joy :waytogo:

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I thought about the progressive for a long time and heard the competitor was too loud. I’ve also been listening to AWE clips lately and that sounds good.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I thought about the progressive for a long time and heard the competitor was too loud. I’ve also been listening to AWE clips lately and that sounds good.
Nah man, the competitor series is just fine ... I actually want mine louder but not going to spend the kind of money to make it as loud as I want it lol .. definitely not going to install a CAI just for that and add a catback system which I don't need ... Give it a shot .. if you don't like it someone will buy it from you right away ... I see them on offerup and they only last a few hours if that lol ..

XtremeAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
View attachment 501178
my exact setup, crew cab 8spd 3.92.
I agree was moderate / minimal, I lived with it for 70k miles. But once i did the resonator it was night and day better. OP you won't be disappointed.

I remember the smile I had on first start up with the muffler from stock.
I have a progressive that had a fair amount of drone on the highway. Pulled it off after 2 weeks and reinstalled the stock muffler. I still have the Carven and like the way it sounds in general, just the cruising aspect that I can’t abide. Just curious on the resonator approach: were you running the factory resonators or were they removed? Or did you add the new resonator in there along with the factory units? Where did the new resonator go? Upstream of the carven?

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a progressive that had a fair amount of drone on the highway. Pulled it off after 2 weeks and reinstalled the stock muffler. I still have the Carven and like the way it sounds in general, just the cruising aspect that I can’t abide. Just curious on the resonator approach: were you running the factory resonators or were they removed? Or did you add the new resonator in there along with the factory units? Where did the new resonator go? Upstream of the carven?
I have the factory resonators…

The quarter wave resonator I’m referring to goes before the muffler.

It makes the world of difference.

XtremeAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
View attachment 501178
my exact setup, crew cab 8spd 3.92.
I agree was moderate / minimal, I lived with it for 70k miles. But once i did the resonator it was night and day better. OP you won't be disappointed.

I remember the smile I had on first start up with the muffler from stock.
Thanks for the response. Figured it would be a single unit forward of the muffler.

Last edited: