Exhaust 'Rip" shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RocketFoot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ever since I installed a Carven Progressive bolt-on muffler, I noticed my 2013 Ram 1500 will let off a loud exhaust 'Rip' when up shifting from 2nd to 3rd on a hard acceleration (8 speed auto). It's hard to describe but almost sounds like a Jake Brake venting the exhaust between gears on a big rig. Is this normal and does it hurt anything? If I accelerate conservatively, it doesn't do it, only on a hard pull. It does sound cool but it seems to rob little power when it happens. Any ideas?

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My Charger R/T will make a nice Brrapp! When shifting under heavy throttle in Sport Mode. Perfectly normal. IMO sounds wonderful. I'm hesitant to change the stock exhaust for fear of losing that. My Hemi Ram with a Flowmaster muffler doesn't do it, so I imagine it's something the chambering of the Flowmaster kills.

OP
OP
RocketFoot

RocketFoot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My Charger R/T will make a nice Brrapp! When shifting under heavy throttle in Sport Mode. Perfectly normal. IMO sounds wonderful. I'm hesitant to change the stock exhaust for fear of losing that. My Hemi Ram with a Flowmaster muffler doesn't do it, so I imagine it's something the chambering of the Flowmaster kills.
YES! Brrapp! Is exactly the sound! It does sound cool but I wasn't sure if was normal. Stock **** didn't do it at all.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
YES! Brrapp! Is exactly the sound! It does sound cool but I wasn't sure if was normal. Stock **** didn't do it at all.
I've been meaning to try and get a video clip of my Charger doing it. Was cruising through town the other day and romped on it enough to get it on the 1-2 shift with buildings on both sides, set up the most sinister echo. Just love that Mopar pulled out all the stops on the last models of these cars. It's bone stock and there are literally no performance mods I want to do to it.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's called torque management. The computer pulls timing during the shift which lessens wear on the trans and actually can make the shift happen more quickly as the RPM will fall more easily.

Totally normal.

OP
OP
RocketFoot

RocketFoot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's called torque management. The computer pulls timing during the shift which lessens wear on the trans and actually can make the shift happen more quickly as the RPM will fall more easily.

Totally normal.
So it probably did it with the stock muffler to some extent but the Carven now let's it sound off in all it's glory!

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So it probably did it with the stock **** to some extent but the Carven now let's it sound off in all it's glory!
If you watch this short little video,listen to the 2-3 shift when the cars on the dragstrip,as it highlights the Torque Management Caulk is referring to.In the 6.4 cars it's even more pronounced,as they make alot more power then the 5.7's do in the trucks,but use the same basic 8HP70 transmission,so the torque management is alot more aggressive in comparision.The video gives you an idea of how it works.The 8HP70 is rated at 516lb-ft,and the 6.4 cars are rated at 475 lb-ft,so to keep the 8 speed alive in the 6.4 cars,they use more torque management then the trucks do

Last edited: