CELL code help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
CEL code help

Hoping you guys can give me some input and help on what to do with these codes. A little history on the truck first in case it makes a difference. Have had the truck close to 10 years but, it has sat for the past 4 years. Starting to go through and fix things up to get it in good running condition again. So far I have changed the oil, replaced the air filter (k&n), new champion plugs, new 8mm wires, new distributor cap, new rotor button, new brakes pads, new calipers, new wheel hubs and new tires. Still a list of things I plan and need to get done but the truck has been running and behaving good since I've started operating it again. Just got the CEL today and had the codes ran. If anyone could tell me what they mean and what I need to do to take care of the problem, that would be great!
Codes:
P1494 (guy said this one was on there twice. Also said usually means loose gas cap. Cap was tight)
P0443
P1740

Thanks for any help you guys can give me. When it comes to the codes and troubleshooting things that way, I don't know much about what to look for unless it's a pretty specific thing.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
P1494 - Usually is a gas cap. It may be tight but the neck seal can be bad. Replace the cap. If that doesn't work, then you have a leak in the fuel evap lines or cannister.

P0443 - Evaporative emission control system purge control valve. There can be a problem with the purge control CIRCUIT, not necessarily the valve. Usually they are a unit housing the valve and the solenoid as an assembly. Or it could be comprised of a separate solenoid with vacuum lines to a purge valve.

That said, it could be any of the following:
Bad purge solenoid (internal short or open)
Wiring harness chafing or rubbing another component causing short or open on control circuit
Connector worn, broken or shorted due to water intrusion

I am leaning towards a leak at the cap, on the purge systems lines or the can has failed.

P1740 - Torque converter clutch or overdrive solenoid:

Possible causes -

Low transmission fluid level
Dirty transmission fluid
Faulty TCC or overdrive solenoid
Open or shorted TCC circuit

I'd recommend checking the trans fluid level and/or replacing the fluid. You may also have a control module harness that is abraded, loose or dirty. Check the control circuit plug into the transmission case to make sure it is in good condition. Check for leaks there around the o-ring that seals it.

OP
OP
R

Ram4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
P1494 - Usually is a gas cap. It may be tight but the neck seal can be bad. Replace the cap. If that doesn't work, then you have a leak in the fuel evap lines or cannister.

P0443 - Evaporative emission control system purge control valve. There can be a problem with the purge control CIRCUIT, not necessarily the valve. Usually they are a unit housing the valve and the solenoid as an assembly. Or it could be comprised of a separate solenoid with vacuum lines to a purge valve.

That said, it could be any of the following:
Bad purge solenoid (internal short or open)
Wiring harness chafing or rubbing another component causing short or open on control circuit
Connector worn, broken or shorted due to water intrusion

I am leaning towards a leak at the cap, on the purge systems lines or the can has failed.

P1740 - Torque converter clutch or overdrive solenoid:

Possible causes -

Low transmission fluid level
Dirty transmission fluid
Faulty TCC or overdrive solenoid
Open or shorted TCC circuit

I'd recommend checking the trans fluid level and/or replacing the fluid. You may also have a control module harness that is abraded, loose or dirty. Check the control circuit plug into the transmission case to make sure it is in good condition. Check for leaks there around the o-ring that seals it.

Awesome reply and info! Thank you very much Sir! Now to go about finding these things and seeing what I can fix lol! Thank you for taking the time to give me all of that info!

OP
OP
R

Ram4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Where can I order replacement vacuum lines to replace these at? Or can I just go to the local hardware store and just pick up something similar in size? I had forgotten that I noticed one of these lines was dry rotted and cracked earlier on when starting to work on the truck and when I looked again today, I noticed another line was as well and had actually popped off where it connects. Hoping this will solve one of my codes with replacing these anyway.

Attachments

• 20151008_160534.jpg
    20151008_160534.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 19

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
If there is enough hose just cut of the brittle cracked end and put it back on.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
If there's not enough, cut out a piece and get a little longer than you need of the same size at a local parts store. Just simply vacuum line.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You can get all the hose you need from any auto parts store. It's sold in bulk on a roll by the foot.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
If there's not enough, cut out a piece and get a little longer than you need of the same size at a local parts store. Just simply vacuum line.

This is right just make sure it's vac line as it has a thicker wall than most.

OP
OP
R

Ram4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Excellent fellas! Thanks for the info. Sounds about like how I figured I could do things but, also figured I'd better make sure since I haven't had to deal with vacuum and emissions crap in the past.