Ceramic Coating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I will take it back yearly like my last truck. He inspects and makes any corrections.
I just did a real quick polish Koch Chemie F6.01 and their yellow pad on my new carbon fiber door handle covers on my Flex. Then I coated it with Koch Chemie Ceramic C0.02 like that's on the Ram. No filter used. I really like that coating. First picture is before and the next two are after.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-02-06 at 1.12.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-02-06 at 1.12.39 PM.png
    952.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Screen Shot 2024-02-06 at 1.13.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-02-06 at 1.13.41 PM.png
    1,010.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Screen Shot 2024-02-06 at 1.13.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-02-06 at 1.13.53 PM.png
    989.8 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
Ynottirbo

Ynottirbo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did paint correction, decontamination, all myself - pretty cost effective DIY. And the work is therapeutic. I followed the infamous "Pan The Organizer" YouTube video on how to do it. Here are the steps; it sounds like a lot but it really isn't:
As you can see in the photo of my 2010 Tango Mango Ram with 90k miles, she look great!

DETAILING STEPS

Clean & decontaminate
Tar/bug remove
Wash w/Chemical Guys Clean Slate Stripping Wash
IronX-Rince
Clay bar w/lubricant
Rinse
Air Dry w/compressor or lint free waffle towel

Paint correction using buffer
Using cutting Compound
Using Polish (Finishing polish)

Apply ceramic coating
Wipe with lint free waffle towel and Isopropyl Alcohol to clean off any polish oils
Apply Ceramic Coating (I used Armor Shield IX by AvalonKing (MUST CURE FOR 12 HOURS)
Look for rainbow effect within 3-5 minutes, then it is time to wipe down lightly (leveling)
Wait 1 hour and apply 2nd coat but not necessary
Apply coating to all exterior parts except tires
48 hours no rain / no wash for 7 days
Throw away micro towel used for applying coating
Optional Apply Gliss V2

Use wax free car wash
Use coating enhancers like Carpro Reload
Looks good. I am too lazy, and worry that I would jack up the finish, so I pay a guy.

Wmjohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Everyone knows there are 100s of ceramic coatings to pick from, making lots of claims, some false unfortunately. It's confusing

I relied on the exhaustive and fairly scientific testing of a youtube professional detailer (Scott HD) who conducted a careful 3 year test of nearly 100 coatings in all price ranges..

The longest lasting coating for under $75 was Nano Bond 9h Pro. Amazon for $35. It could easily last even longer, but that wasn't tested. (Scott has dozens of tests, but the one to see is either 30 or 36 months)

It was not hard to apply, and actually after a quick polish with Nufinish, I applied the Nano Bond in about an hour! Result is a perfect finish, smooth as glass! Yeah, I'll work an hour for $1400 any day.

Only suggestion is the applicator is lousy and the tinly felt cloth keeps falling off, but other than that, it's all good!

Last edited:

Hawkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have been considering getting my Rebel ceramic coated. But had my last truck done and was not happy with the outcome.

The body was OK, but didn’t WOW me. They also did the glass. And it was never really clear afterwards.

Not sure if it was the person who did the job or the product. Won’t name the brand, as it may not have been their fault.

I put Adam’s spray ceramic coating on this truck last week. Did it myself. Not unhappy with the results. I’ll do our Durango this weekend, see how that comes out.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have been considering getting my Rebel ceramic coated. But had my last truck done and was not happy with the outcome.

The body was OK, but didn’t WOW me. They also did the glass. And it was never really clear afterwards.

Not sure if it was the person who did the job or the product. Won’t name the brand, as it may not have been their fault.

I put Adam’s spray ceramic coating on this truck last week. Did it myself. Not unhappy with the results. I’ll do our Durango this weekend, see how that comes out.
It all comes down to the detailer. You almost always need a two step. Even on new cars. Cut/Polish. A lot of detailers wont take the time when its time to polish to figure out what gives the best clarity. I know my usual go to, but on my Z28 it was something totally different. The only 5 coatings I would ever let touch my vehicle is Cquartz and not the ones you can buy without a license. Modesta license only P&S licenses only Koch Chemie C0.02 or Undrdog Pro or Pro+ no license needed. I like Undrdog because it gives you the look of something like Cquartz without breaking the bank. Ive got Pro+ on two of our cars, and the ram and the z have Koch Chemie C0.02. Not all coatings are created equal and you will hear this and that, but personal experience I wont own anything that doesn't have one of those coatings installed.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-04-13 at 10.39.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-13 at 10.39.41 AM.png
    1,023.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Screen Shot 2024-03-17 at 5.35.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-03-17 at 5.35.52 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • Screen Shot 2024-02-06 at 1.13.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-02-06 at 1.13.41 PM.png
    1,010.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Screen Shot 2024-04-17 at 12.21.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-04-17 at 12.21.55 PM.png
    931 KB · Views: 2

etbrown4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I looked at Scott HD testing many dozens of ceramic coatings on YouTube and that is guy is deadly serious and really smart. He buys the coatings himself out of pocket and seems to not be influenced or bought by anyone. His testing is thorough and extensive with as many as 30 coatings tested simultaneously, and washing them weekly for like 30 months! Man that's dedication.

I agree with WmJohn and I'm going with Nano Bond 9h. How can you beat the top performer after 30 months? If it's just an hour to apply after polishing, that is like a no brainer. I know the dealers are a ripoff and they lie a lot, but paying $1400? You have to be kidding.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I looked at Scott HD testing many dozens of ceramic coatings on YouTube and that is guy is deadly serious and really smart. He buys the coatings himself out of pocket and seems to not be influenced or bought by anyone. His testing is thorough and extensive with as many as 30 coatings tested simultaneously, and washing them weekly for like 30 months! Man that's dedication.

I agree with WmJohn and I'm going with Nano Bond 9h. How can you beat the top performer after 30 months? If it's just an hour to apply after polishing, that is like a no brainer. I know the dealers are a ripoff and they lie a lot, but paying $1400? You have to be kidding.
Look into Undrdog as well. It will last a lot longer then that. You can do a vehicle in about an hour as well. You get a long flash time with Pro, but I usually stick with 1-2 panels just to be safe. I personally know Joel the owner and creator. He is a great and honest guy. His products are amazing. Its not a ceramic, but it is just as good for half the price.

zrock

Reaction score
It’s a 5 year warranty, and I had truck and front windshield done. Not the rims. $1400
you paid $1400 for ceramic coating? Gezzz i thought it was expensive here at $400-$500 for 5 year warranty. Even at that price i can do mine every year for $50 and have enough in one bottle to last me 5 or more years. A afternoon of work and it looks and feels good for the year and that is with my clay baring the whole truck.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did paint correction, decontamination, all myself - pretty cost effective DIY. And the work is therapeutic. I followed the infamous "Pan The Organizer" YouTube video on how to do it. Here are the steps; it sounds like a lot but it really isn't:
As you can see in the photo of my 2010 Tango Mango Ram with 90k miles, she look great!

DETAILING STEPS

Clean & decontaminate
Tar/bug remove
Wash w/Chemical Guys Clean Slate Stripping Wash
IronX-Rince
Clay bar w/lubricant
Rinse
Air Dry w/compressor or lint free waffle towel

Paint correction using buffer
Using cutting Compound
Using Polish (Finishing polish)

Apply ceramic coating
Wipe with lint free waffle towel and Isopropyl Alcohol to clean off any polish oils
Apply Ceramic Coating (I used Armor Shield IX by AvalonKing (MUST CURE FOR 12 HOURS)
Look for rainbow effect within 3-5 minutes, then it is time to wipe down lightly (leveling)
Wait 1 hour and apply 2nd coat but not necessary
Apply coating to all exterior parts except tires
48 hours no rain / no wash for 7 days
Throw away micro towel used for applying coating
Optional Apply Gliss V2

Use wax free car wash
Use coating enhancers like Carpro Reload

This x100, Even easier when the Truck is new off the lot :anitoof: . Cant wait to do my 4runner, will also do the interior of course.