Changing Engine Air Filters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paulos G

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Warlock
Engine
V-6 3.6 Liter 24-Valve
Has anyone had frustrating experiences changing Engine Air Filters by yourself on your Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 6 cyclinder Flex fuel pickup? When I bought an air filter from Autozone I put a new filter in but experienced difficulty putting the fasterners back on and it was frustrating. The Autozone store vendor gave me the right filter size specified on their book and I gave them my pickup full specifications. The filter was the same size as my old dirty one but after an hour trying to put on the fasteners, I ended up getting a refund and going to Big "O" tires and paid them $20 to install it. Once I seen them put the fasteners on in a snap; it took them less than a minute. I was so startled. Are your fasteners or latches that sensitive to filter sizes when you do it yourself and have difficulty doing it yourself? I wanted to avoid the charge that the dealer would charge me: $50 to change the engine air filter.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Has anyone had frustrating experiences changing Engine Air Filters by yourself on your Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 6 cyclinder Flex fuel pickup? When I bought an air filter from Autozone I put a new filter in but experienced difficulty putting the fasterners back on and it was frustrating. The Autozone store vendor gave me the right filter size specified on their book and I gave them my pickup full specifications. The filter was the same size as my old dirty one but after an hour trying to put on the fasteners, I ended up getting a refund and going to Big "O" tires and paid them $20 to install it. Once I seen them put the fasteners on in a snap; it took them less than a minute. I was so startled. Are your fasteners or latches that sensitive to filter sizes when you do it yourself and have difficulty doing it yourself? I wanted to avoid the charge that the dealer would charge me: $50 to change the engine air filter.
On the engine side there are little locating tongues. If those aren't inserted first you will have problems with the clips.

The only other problem I've had is sometimes the clips fall off when unfastened.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
P

Paulos G

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Warlock
Engine
V-6 3.6 Liter 24-Valve
On the engine side there are little locating tongues. If those aren't inserted first you will have problems with the clips.

The only other problem I've had is sometimes the clips fall off when unfastened.

I made sure of that by checking the locating tongues after I seen a youtube video of how to change engine air filters on the 1500 pickups.

Sdpadrez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How does this have anything to do with audio and electronics?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
It'll get moved...

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I tried a Fram air filter on my diesel truck and it did not fit properly. Returned it and bought an ACDelco filter which turned out to be much better made and fit perfectly.

I always research the part number needed and phone the auto parts store to verify that they have it in stock. I would not go in and trust the clerk to provide the correct part. For something like an air filter I would rather buy it on Amazon and have it delivered to the house than to make a special trip to an auto parts store and hope they actually have the part in stock.