Check engine light misfire help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mhylman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Once again I call upon you fellows for some advise. I have a 97 ram 2500 4x4 with a 5.9 Gas NV4500. I've done a lot of upgrades to it in the year ive had it but probably about 4 months in I got a check engine light on it and I've done everything to cure it. It has codes for random as well has 4 cylinder codes not all in the same bank. The truck is an HD series that came factory with a utility bed so I figured it'd been worked to death bit only had 135k ran great evetthing worked and it was 800 bucks but assumed some maintenance was skipped because it had factory plug wires still. I did a complete tune-up and changed the timing chain still had codes and I change the plugs again just to sure and same codes. I have tried factory champion pkigs, autolites, NGK plugs. I have also tried AutoZone and orielly cap and rotor and wires. Right now I have a complete Accel kit with coil cap rotor wires and plugs and everything is the same. Had my cat tested and I've done compression tests and fuel pressure test. There is no loss of power or performance just a light but a strange thing happened before I had to replace my battery, the light went off after all the system monitors were complete with nothing even in the history of my scanner. Right now the light is on because replacing the battery reset the computer but any clue at what I'm dealing with.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Have you routed your wires per this TSB?
TSB 18-48-98

If not, do so and see if it that clears it.

You might also start looking at a compression and leak down test to see what you're working with as far as the engine.

OP
OP
M

mhylman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you for the info I had done the wire routing when I swapped everything to Accel and I also have done a compression test and everything is in spec. The only thing I havent done is intake plenum which being how this is my 4th dodge knows probably needs it done even if it's not the issue. But my other rams were 5.2 engines and had notice side effects of a bad plenum. This kinda has developed a lope at idle. I work as a mechanic and have done full rebuilds so this is hitting close to home not being able to figure out. But this is my current daily and it's cold so don't wanna do unnecessary work if I can't get it done in one sitting all I got is a track Daytona and a Nissan with no floor pans

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
There was a fella in another thread that didn't route his wires per the TSB and he said he'd loomed all his plug wires and it got rid of his misfire. Now, when I say loomed all the wires, I'm pretty sure he ran loom down all the wires, where ever they touched anything.

Just something to think about.

You should also be seriously considering a compression test...hell, even blow the carbon out with Seafoam and see if that improves it any.