Chest level AC stopped working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tankgirrl1375

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2011 Dodge RAM 1500 with the 5.7 hemi...had no issues with it at all since I've bought it, but yesterday I got in after work, adjusted the AC to higher, and it stopped blowing thru the chest or upper vents..it still blows thru lower and now seems to be blowing thru the defrost vents by the windshield harder. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction as far as what to do, where to start troubleshooting, and looking for this problem. I'm think an actuator went out, or maybe something else? Just looking for some guidance before I start dismantling the glove box and dash. Thank you

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a 2011 Dodge RAM 1500 with the 5.7 hemi...had no issues with it at all since I've bought it, but yesterday I got in after work, adjusted the AC to higher, and it stopped blowing thru the chest or upper vents..it still blows thru lower and now seems to be blowing thru the defrost vents by the windshield harder. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction as far as what to do, where to start troubleshooting, and looking for this problem. I'm think an actuator went out, or maybe something else? Just looking for some guidance before I start dismantling the glove box and dash. Thank you
Yes, it would be your actuator. Mine went out on my Silverado - of course right after the warranty expired - and the one on my wife's Jeep Patriot (they call it a blend motor) was making a knocking sound so I had it replaced just a few weeks ago. The Silverado cost me about $400; the Jeep was only about $125.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yes, it would be your actuator. Mine went out on my Silverado - of course right after the warranty expired - and the one on my wife's Jeep Patriot (they call it a blend motor) was making a knocking sound so I had it replaced just a few weeks ago. The Silverado cost me about $400; the Jeep was only about $125.
Sounds like I got off easy. My wife's impala was doing the same as your jeep and it was $11.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Actually, it's the MODE door actuator. The blend door actuator blends warm and cold air.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
there are 4 actuators & doors in most Rams
found right to left behind the dashboard
1) actuator works the Recirculation Door, found behind the upper glove compartment

2) actuator works the Blend Door, it makes the Air pass over the Condenser or under the Heater Core. It is found by removing the Lower Glove Compartment

3 & 4) actuators work Mode Doors 1 & 2
They are found by removing the Bezel that surrounds the radio & the Climate Controls are mounted on.
There are 2 screws under the sun glasses holder, rubber pad.
If your vehicle has a 115 VAC plug, there will likely be a 3rd screw above it.
If you have a Full Floor Console, the upper trim on it has to come off, watch a you tube video for that.
If you don't have that console, then you have to remove the ash tray or what ever is down there at the bottom, again YouTube.

With that Bezel removed, you will plainly see the 2 actuators, within inches of each other.

every actuator in the HVAC unit are identical

watch this video, he filmed as he was figuring everything out.

Last edited: