chirping under my truck please help it is driving me nuts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tom Rezza

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
ok guys this is my problem. i have this chirping noise coming from under my truck. it doesn't happen at start up but when it gets hot. if i drive for about 20 min or so it will do it. it doesn't seem to get any louder at acceleration but is loud when i come to a stop. it sounds like a belt or pully but it is not. it is more to be coming from under the truck i can here it louder through the wheel wells and under the truck by the tranny area. in my process of elimination it seems to start when the tranny gets to be 195 degrees. i am hopping it is not a tranny problem. i have the nonserviceable 8 speeds. any help would be appreciated.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have you ruled out a broken weld on the catalytic converter shield? Could be on the top shield too. They often make funny vibrating noises and may not begin until the cat is warmed up sufficiently and the shield flexes in such a way it starts vibrating. Or another nearby shield that takes a while to warm up.

Perhaps shut off the vehicle (after the chirping starts), put on some leather gloves, climb under there and pound on the exhaust with the meat of your fists rapidly (like punching one of those boxing punching balls). Like you're trying to emulate engine vibration. Do it immediately before the exh cools down. Move to the next shield or tranny, etc.

_

Last edited:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Unfortunately process of elimination, and help from a buddy are the only real way to track noises down. I have had some that took weeks to isolate, even with dedicated looking. An automotive stethoscope helps a lot in tracking noises down.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unfortunately process of elimination, and help from a buddy are the only real way to track noises down. I have had some that took weeks to isolate, even with dedicated looking. An automotive stethoscope helps a lot in tracking noises down.
About 1-2 months ago, there was a long thread on this very problem, and IIRC, the OP found out it was a defective muffler with holes, bad welds at the front. Just a thought, U may wanna check.

OP
OP
Tom Rezza

Tom Rezza

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
thanks everyone those are good things to check. i know i have the dreaded exhaust manifold problems and i have checked the heat shields on them so far.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357