Chrysler the new Prince of Darkness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sourdough

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Let me set the scene. The other night I was driving on a barely two lane mountain road, Ca. Hwy. 36 east of Hydesville. It’s maybe the one of the worst, twisty with big Redwood trees a few feet off the edge, mountain roads I’ve driven. I had the fog lights burning and was switching back and forth between Hi and Lo beams as needed for oncoming traffic. All of the sudden everything went, BLACK AS INK! I hit the brakes hard and heard my left front tire on the rumble strip. Seconds later the lights came back on and I realized I was facing oncoming traffic. Just as I was thanking the man upstairs for keeping me safe, lights ahead where coming around the corner. I went for 2nd gear and pulled ahead for my lane. The driver of the fast on coming car, didn’t register that I was partly in his lane until he was right on me. He pasted within inches blowing the horn the whole way and stopping on the road past me several more car lengths. Moving still forward, I hit the emergency flashers, thinking things might turn black again. There was no place to even pull off the road for more than a mile. By that time I was thinking don’t touch any switches and find a place ASAP to pull over for the night. For the first time since a small boy this 65 yr old man is once again afraid of the dark. Thanks Chrysler.
I've been searching the forums and have now become aware of Chryslers TIPM. I believe it’s my problem but haven’t yet ruled out a wiring issue. I have removed and checked the headlight connections. Some owners have found issues there, mine are good. Next I’ll be looking into the headlight switch and multi switch, easy checks. I’m hoping its one of the switch connection. If not, then lastly the problematic TIPM. My 2012 3500 only has 28,000 pampered miles and is just out of warranty. (LOL, my Mac just started typing small)

Last edited:

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Damn, so you're saying that your headlights and everything in the truck shut off temporarily?

That's very unfortunate, especially considering the low miles on your truck. Hopefully you figure it out.

1quick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That sucks and the worst part is the not knowing when it'll happen again.

Jarhead57

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 4x4 CC Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, that could tend to make a fellow nervous for sure. Hope you pinpoint it soon.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Had the same problem in the truck in my avatar several times.........flying down a 2 lane road out in the country/woods, and suddenly the lights go out........kinda skeery to say the least, 'specially when you are entering a turn when it happens !!!

Mine tuned out to be the headlight high beam switch on the floor (you old guys remember those ?).....the wire connections in the switch got cranky & decided not to work all the time.

For the record, my 2012 1500 has barely over 23,000 miles on it...like less than 25 miles over, but I ain't walking outside in the cold dressed as I am to see. I have the lifetime maxcare warranty, so I ain't too worried about anything.

OP
OP
sourdough

sourdough

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Damn, so you're saying that your headlights and everything in the truck shut off temporarily?
headlights and all the dash lights.
That's very unfortunate, especially considering the low miles on your truck. Hopefully you figure it out.
seems like it could be in the multi switch also.
That sucks and the worst part is the not knowing when it'll happen again.
LOL , can only happen at night. I might hook up a set of auxiliary driving lights with their circuit and switch.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
An easy thing to check before you jump to more complicated ideas as well, is the battery/batteries. If those are the factory batteries in your truck still, that means they'll be six years old (or older) in 2018. Many-a-battery have failed before then, and weak batteries can cause weird havoc with the modern computer systems.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^ Start with the battery.
For some reason Dodge/Ram/Jeep they are all extremely sensitive to a “ Perfect battery”. If that battery is not putting out the proper cranking amps the truck won’t even attempt to start. I haven’t heard of one just ******** off, but it wouldn’t supprise me. Just my opinion.

OP
OP
sourdough

sourdough

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It has two AGM batteries under the hood. Motor didn't shut off but the lights did for minute or so and then clicked back on. If my problem is the batteries, I'd be shocked. I'll keep it in mind. So far there is no codes. Motor starts strong and the amp gauge is good.

KansasArt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was your light switch on the 'on' or 'auto' position? If auto, perhaps something amiss with the sensors? No first hand knowledge, just throwing out a question...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
sourdough

sourdough

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I believe AUTO. I had that thought also. The next day I drove all day long with the lights manually ON.Never saw lights cut out. Where is the sensor located.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure on a 3500, but on a 1500 it'd on the dashboard, about center close to where it meets the windshield.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Seems like it would take an awful lot of reflected light to trigger the auto off function--but its as good a working theory as any for now......

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
The fact that they didn't turn back on for a minute also means it prob wasn't the light sensor. They are sensitive but they only lag a few seconds. Sounds like a switch, or a major power/ground connection. I would be looking at the fuse as well. Might not be bad but could be loose. Sounds like you were over loading the system, fogs on, low beams on and flicking on/off the high beams. You prob just pissed it off and it shut down (maybe overheated the circuitry). I know the newer trucks have the automatic high beam sensor systems which puts a sensor in the rear view mirror, your truck is too old for that tho I think. Either way its only designed to sense headlights etc and kill the high beams so you dont blind oncoming drivers.

But to be safe, wire in some aux lighting on a manual switch right off the battery so you can at least turn them on if it ever decides to get weird again.

OP
OP
sourdough

sourdough

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What fuse would that be. I didn't find a headlight fuse or a light sensor fuse. Today I covered the sensor on the dash, turned the light switch to auto and no lights. I am going to try again after dark. Also, unclipped the TIPM and looked at the wiring connections. All looked good. Ordered a new headlight switch for the heck of it, should be delivered soon. Easy to replace. Looked online for a auto headlight sensor. Couldn't find a listing?

Ram13BH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CUMMINS
The problem is most likely the TIPM. We replace more of those than any other component mentioned here...although these trucks have been known for BCM issues as well. I just replaced the BCM in my truck for door lock issues. I have VERY rarely ever seen a light sensor be a problem on our trucks, although they are troublesome on some other vehicles in our line, so my second suspect would be the multifunction switch since it sounds like you were using it fairly often switching from high to low beams. The easiest and best thing to do is take it to the dealer at least for a diagnosis rather than play the guessing game and throwing darts at it.

OP
OP
sourdough

sourdough

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The problem is most likely the TIPM. We replace more of those than any other component mentioned here...although these trucks have been known for BCM issues as well. I just replaced the BCM in my truck for door lock issues. I have VERY rarely ever seen a light sensor be a problem on our trucks, although they are troublesome on some other vehicles in our line, so my second suspect would be the multifunction switch since it sounds like you were using it fairly often switching from high to low beams. The easiest and best thing to do is take it to the dealer at least for a diagnosis rather than play the guessing game and throwing darts at it.

My dealer had my Ram for 8 working days during an episode of mulitipal non functioning systems due to a blown fuse. They never figured out the why. They did rule out mechhanical causes but totally where lost as to the short cause. Once I got my truck away, within an hour of down loading schematics of the circuits involved. I found a connection with moisture. I dried out the plug connection, eliminated the water source and have had no more issues. Everything now works fine, just a fuse short.
I'm way head by quessing and throwing darts. I'm pretty good at it and with the help of this forum I'll get it figured out. I've seen rebuilt TIPM's for a couple hundred dollars. Also a couple Youtube videos of R & R. Even if I replace all the involved components, I'll still be ahead money wise. Just replaced the light switch for $58 and 10 minutes effort.