clicking/knocking on startup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beerthirty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi v8
Hi Guys,

I have a 2019 Bighorn with 30k on it that I bought brand new.

I've noticed that when I start the truck up cold, there seems to be a quiet clicking or knocking coming from the engine. The sound is in sequence with the RPMS of the engine, so when I rev it, the sound speeds up. The sound goes away within 5-10sec. Like I said, cold starts only... when I have been driving then restart, it's not there.

My one buddy says I have something major going wrong with my timing or lifters. My brother said the newer 5.7's have manifold issues/loose bolt which could cause it.

I just took it into the dealership because after coming back from a 3.5 week vacation, when I started her up, the clicking sound was a bit louder than a remember, but eventually went away. Dealership said everything checks out good. They didn't hear sound, even ran it next to a new ram 5.7. Said they took off the exhaust manifold and everything looks good.

Is this just the MDS lifter sound that a few people on this forum have mentioned? I just want to make sure if something needs fixing that I get it done while it's still under warranty.

OP
OP
B

beerthirty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi v8
I should have read around this forum more. Seems as if the "hemi tick" is a pretty common thing... Sorry for reposting a redundant topic.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll give you some advice get on what we call a lubrication strategy that consists of a good quality oil like redline 5w30 full synthetic motor oil and a good oil filter: royal purple 20-820 and some lubegard bio tech that has a high molly to lubricate the cam and lifters, this should quiet down your hemi it's been proven on here time and time again give it some time,1,000 to 2,000 miles.

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
I'll give you some advice get on what we call a lubrication strategy that consists of a good quality oil like redline 5w30 full synthetic motor oil and a good oil filter: royal purple 20-820 and some lubegard bio tech that has a high molly to lubricate the cam and lifters, this should quiet down your hemi it's been proven on here time and time again give it some time,1,000 to 2,000 miles.
Bingo - people forget the first letter in the weight of the oil is the weight at cold temps - the lower the number the faster it will travel to the hard to reach places. You want that, but within spec for your car.

Example for a Prius or most Hybrids - they use 0W-20 since even driving you want a heavier oil at temps and a super light oil at startup since the car could already be in motion and placing the engine under load/stress already when starting for the first time.

Don’t assume you are dealing with HEMI tick but it is something to be aware of. Everyone often assumes the worst - I have cancer is the answer when you ask Dr. Google anything…same here I suppose. Folks generally think the worst right away and with only 30K miles, that truck is new IMHO.