Clicking noise when in 4-hi and lo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NightX28

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi everyone!,
So I have a couple questions. I just purchased a 2004 dodge ram 2500, already lifted. I took it up wheeling this weekend and noticed a clicking noise, while in 4 hi and lo. The noise seems to be coming from underneath my driver side. The sounds quickens when I'm accelerating and slows when I slow down. But it does stop making the noise when I'm at a steady speed. I did a little bit of searching around and have heard that it could be my half shaft. Does anyone have any input on this?
Also as I said this truck already has a 6in lift and 37 inch tires, but I am almost positive it has not been geared for these tires. Any recommendations for gears?
I appreciate any input on these matters.
Thanx

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Did you go outside and check your u joints for play?

OP
OP
N

NightX28

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
U joints have absolutely no play. I checked all those before I bought it.

xtreme762

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
If it was a half shaft it would click all the time. Not just in Hi, or Lo 4.

I'd pull the cover on the front axle, and check the gears to see if there's a tooth missing on the ring. Maybe even pull the front drive shaft to check the cv joint. Those front drive shafts don't like really high angles, and with a 6" lift. I'd say it's probably screaming when the front axle is engaged.

Kevlar55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Axle joints or u joints. 2500's don't have half shafts. There not IFS.

Kevin.

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I would definitely have a look in the Front Axel Diff box.

While you are there, if you have not done so already change the oil, make sure you use synthetic with additive.

Not much more complicated to do the back as well, especially if you end up changing the gears for better ratio with your setup.

If you change the Ring gears, might think of upgraging the Pinion. Make sure you check the end-play with a dial gauge so that when sticking the new gears in there you have the same backlash. Will prevent any accelerated wear on the remaining part. If you backlash before the new gears is way under the original specs, just make it to the lower end of the play specification and you should be OK.

Hope this helps.