Climate Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I've all but stopped watching NASCAR races. I don't even know who's racing anymore. I blame the reaction to the fact that Matt Kenseth won the championship without winning any races, for the rules changes that was the final straw for me. So what if he was champion without a win. The whole idea behind points racing is consistency. Now, someone can win a championship after doing nothing all season except win one race then have good results for the last 10 races. That's not really appealing to me. But then again, for me the sport really died with Dale Earnhardt.

As far as snow goes, we had a couple inches overnight, but it will be mostly gone by this evening. I'm definitely not jealous of what some of you have gotten recently.
Yeah that was rough, the only good thing that came from that year losing an earnhard, a petty and blaze in one year was that nobody has died since. No small part thanks to the hans device cam a year too late for Dale. Not to try and get you to change your mind, but there is very little chance to win a championship without winning now, everything nascar has done in the last ten years was to make that happen. The new one win and you make the playoffs has prioritizes wins, even last year only one guy made playoffs without winning and he was quickly eliminated.

I think how fast cameras are now have really taken away from the feel you used to get when watching. Back in the day it seamed like the cars were going so much faster, but that isnt the case. The speed of modern digital cameras really changes the way it appears. No way to fix that I guess, analog is gone for good. What still is great is hero's and villans, no matter which guys you pull for there is a fair share of boos when villians win, lol. But wins mean more then ever before in nascar.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The downside of the old system when 3 was driving, you could win the championship many races prior to the final race, I say good riddens to that. The 4 best guys duke it out in the final race imo a good thing. It is rare those 4 dont represent nascars best. Of note the year harvick was the favorite to win it all didnt make it to phoenix with a shot. But generally speaking, the top 4 teams make it, then it is boys have at it. It seams like every championship race the top 4 guys are in the top 5 on the track nearly all day long. It is quite the drama, larsens championship all 4 guys dominted the race at some point, but larsen was last man standing. edge is seat stuff going on, even the last race incredible racing. You could go a ytear or two without a race like last week, now every week is the same. Cars are too equal now, puts it in drivers hand.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
NasCar points system from a few years back was OK when it came to the Champion Race qualifications.

There was one other Driver, that you may have forgotten about
There was the FAN Voted Driver, they did not need to win a race, the Fans voted them in & they started in the last position.
If i am not mistaken, one year the Fans Voted for that tall, red headed Racer that every one liked, "Awesome Bill from Dawsonville", Bill Elliott

OP
OP
Dave Haddon

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Climate Chamge to Nascar..the latter is a great topic...getting back..never knew that about Old Jolly England back in ther day growing grapes..learn something every day...We should start aNascar Thread if that is allowed..????

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The warming climate is a good thing. The aternative is cooling and that would be a real disaster for humanity. Warming oceans create more evaporation and that causes more precipitation, fresh water for crops and all life. Things change, including climate and we humans are not the primary cause for this warming. The sun goes through cycles that increase the amount of energy it makes and this cycle is consistant at 900 to 1000 years. From 1050 AD to 1200 the planet became warmer than it is today and this was before humanity used fossil fuels. England began growing grapes that produced so much high quality wine during this period that France outlawed the import of English wine because it undercut the French market. Nordic explorers dicovered Greenland and moved there to grow the crops they grew in Norway. When the warming period ended they could no longer grow these crops and changed to a sea food diet they learned from the newly arrived arctic people (Eskimos). These arctic people expanded their range during this warming oeriod and arrived after the Vikings. We are creating havoc by trying to fix something we have no control over.

We continue to unearth viking burials and artifacts so at one point the planet must have been warmer, before cooling down in the last few hundred years to bury the artifacts in snow/ice, and now it's warming again so they reappear. I think we can agree on that, and the natural cycling.

Whats less certain to me is how much man is accelerating that cycle. We can agree we are warming, but the rate we are warming seems to be the problem. That rate is the fastest its ever been if you can believe the chicken littles.

So I don't necessarily agree with your final statement. We can definitely ruin the environment with excess garbage, nuclear fallout and so on, theoretically its well within grasp that we mess up the planet irrevocably for centuries just by nuking eachother. I don't think it's that unrealistic to think we can cause massive damage by refusing to trim our emissions.

We're not trying to "fix something we have no control over", it's more about reducing the emissions/pollution caused by man, and we do have control over that. Not only do we have control over it, the planet WILL be better off without it. The planet doesn't need billions of people and millions of cars and all the mining and oil spills and on and on. But neither am I panicking, I think there is a middle ground.

Very hard to find the truth these days. After covid and all the misinformation (on both sides!) I just can't believe much anymore.

I have this strong desire to buy a 10 acre plot in the northwest territories somewhere, put a giant "KEEP OUT" sign on it, and bury my head in the sand.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
OP tried to make a joke now we going south real quick :)

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yep well at least we don’t have to worry about sharks or jelly fish in our 2 ft of snow.. lol
Just got a couple pictures from the Daughter up by Grasswoods in your area truck was in the way of tractor, so lots of shoveling, I can’t find the pictures now, this is not bad in Swift Current
It has been Damn dry in this area for Couple years
Climate has been changing for ever
Electric cars an’t going to change that , Canada is not the problem, but enough of this
Back to hot trucks and nascar

Attachments

• 0574D03A-5D3D-4AFE-B3F7-5ACA90C05E08.jpeg
    0574D03A-5D3D-4AFE-B3F7-5ACA90C05E08.jpeg
    99.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Just adding a friendly reminder to keep politics and other potentially inflammatory comments out of this discussion. Lets keep things light.

OP
OP
Dave Haddon

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8 hrs later all good/small mountains of snow for dogs to run up..warm weather on the way this weekend a 22 C change..crazy stuff....now we will have a mud fest when all this white crap melts...can't win !..glad to have good neighbours who helped out with a Bobcat...whew!..

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Championship preview weekend, phoenix this week baby. Who won this race last year, oh yeah same dude that just smoked the field in vegas.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah well if it is cold or warm, I am watching nascar. Go larsen vegas winner in about 5 hours or so.

I felt bad for chandler smith yesterday, celebrated raja friday. Opps I am revealing the level of my obsession.
My obsession started in 1985....lol

Also wasn't there a study released in the 1st year of covid stating something how much better the atmosphere was from satellite point of view?way less emissions at that time or something?
Few nice topics goin on here.

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Back in the 1960s & 1970s
I lived about 200 miles south of Los Angeles, out in the Desert, about 100 feet below Sea Level.
If anyone looked in the sky, in the general direction of Los Angeles, all you would see was sky that is the color of Brownish Grey.
At the time, who ever was in charge, was wanting to drill huge tunnels through mountains & put HUGE Fans in the tunnels, so they could blow that filth out of the Los Angeles Basin.

Then when that was shot down, they blamed everything on cans of Spray Paint, something in the cans was making the OZONE smaller & smaller, then they added animals that ate grass, like Cows.

Well the sky over Los Angeles is much closer to BLUE, so they did something right, but the size of the OZONE is still getting smaller & they better concentrate on that, or our Children's children will be wearing space suits :(

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Apparently, there are people all over Europe & North America, that are smuggling Refrigerant Gases.
One guy just had a trial

Jas34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Back in the 1960s & 1970s

If anyone looked in the sky, in the general direction of Los Angeles, all you would see was sky that is the color of Brownish Grey.
Yeah, I remember seeing that from the hills around LA, when I visited there as a kid. Meanwhile, back east the NYC area was thick with smog. Getting stuck in a traffic jam made you nearly sick with exhaust fumes. Lake Erie was a polluted mess. The Cuyahoga river was so polluted it caught fire. We had basically no bald eagles, peregrine falcons, and brown pelicans.

Fast forward to today. The air is cleaner. Lake Erie is the perch and walleye fishing capital of the northeast. The eagle, peregrine, and pelican populations have recovered.

The fact that this was accomplished since I was a kid gives me some hope that we can help fix the greenhouse gas situation in my kids' and grandkids' time. For their sake I hope we do.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
You likely remember all the school children in Sandy Hook Connecticut that were killed by the first mentally disturbed guy with weapons ??

Sandy Hook is part of Newtown Ct., it is not far from Danbury, Ct, which is around an hours drive from NYC.
In Sandy Hook itself, there is a large Bald Headed Eagle Preserve.
It is just a few miles North of one of my Sisters Home

I took this pix from my Sisters back yard in August 2018
The Eagle is looking for fish in Lake Zoar, at the upper end

1709783027667.png
My Sister's Home is in the trees, directly in front of my Ram
1709783183551.png

1709783279954.png

Last edited:

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is a little wildlife bird preserve here..I went last year or so.they a couple injured eagles.
I dont think ive ever been up close to an eagle as far as i can recall...these things kinda freaked me out for second,both were missing a wing and could no longer fly so their permanent home now....i was about 10ft away on the other side of some heavy duty netting,they seemed like they were 3 feet tall(guessing,didnt look anything up)and had just the meanest lookin face...so beautiful yet they look like they would tear you a new one if given the chance....awsome bird.
Another time...sittin out on a buddies porch havin a mixed drink....yep,eagle came over us ,swooped down and stole what looked like a good foot long bass out of his pond in the front yard....we both didn't say a word just turned at each other and shook our heads...that was a cool site.