Detailing tips from the Pro's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This was posted on autopia by a professional detailer. I think the information would be very helpful to some of us that just kinda dabble with detailing as sort of a "weekend warrior".

Common Newbie Detailing Mistakes
The purpose of this thread is to inform those of you beginning and novice detailers of common mistakes and guffaws made while detailing vehicles. My intentis to avoid "the school of hard knocks" and learn from my and others misfortunes in detailng. This is not a complete list by any means, but as the title states, these are some of the most common miscues made by newbies. These tips and suggestions also separate the "hacks" from those who truly care and know how to properly detail a vehicle.

1) Cleaning plastic lens (lexan) dash panel gauge covers and navigation or touch screens with Windex Glasscleaner and cheap paper toweling.
There are many scratched and hazed plastic lens covers in vehicles because of this. There are specialty plastic cleaners out on the market for plastics as well asmicrofiber towels. My favorite is PlexusPlastic Spray cleaner with a suede-type microfiber.
2) Forgetting to roll the vehicle forward to do the bottom of the tires after applying tire gel to them.
Not easy to remember if you are in a rush, but the effort speaks for itself.
3) Forgetting to roll down ALL the windows to clean the tops of them next to the seals.
Nothing looks worse or is as embarrassing than having dirty windows at the top when a customer or yourself rolls down the window sometime later after detailing a vehicle.
AND, while you have the window down, clean and apply protectant to the inside of that seal/weather stripping next to the window.
4) Forgetting to clean out all the excess wax around vehicle emblems, decals, panel seams, and vinyl trim or cladding.
I think this is the most grievous of all detailing errors made today and is a tell-tale sign of a true novice. I use a soft old tooth brush and cotton swabs (Q-tips®) and round toothpicks to clean out these visible and not-so-visible areas. Yes, it is very tedious and time-consuming, but it truly sets off a properly detailed vehicle.
5) If you are using a buffing machine of ANY kind, forgetting to tape off soft vinyl trim or brushed or polished aluminumand stainless steel trim before buffing.
You can tell when this has not been done and replacing such scuffed trim is not cheap. Many experienced detailers using a buffer may forgo this, saying they can control their machine during the buffing process. Just play it safe and tape it off and do not worry about how the tape job looks. You`ll remove the tape anyway. Just remember to use painter`s tape (3M Blue) and not cheap masking tape, or God forbid, duct tape.
6) Using acid wheel cleaner on machined aluminum aftermarket rims.
More custom rims have been ruined and etched by doing this. If you do not know what they are, ask the owner. If they do not know, play it safe and use a non-acid wheelcleaner, like Eagle One`s A-to-Z All-WheelCleaner.
7) Polishing a clear-coated rim with a chrome cleaner.
Let`s be clear; almost ALL wheels on vehicles today are clear-coated, even those that look like chrome or polished aluminum. You`ll scratch the clear-coat if you use a chrome metal cleaner of them. Play it safe and use a clear-coat safe one-step wax or sealant on these rims, or you can polish and wax/seal/coat them just like you would a paint.
8) Using over-the-counter (OTC) SimpleGreen® to decrease and clean the engine.
This one has been debated ad nausem about the harmful effects on aluminum parts so prevalent these days on modern vehicles. It will, indeed, etch and cause that white bloom to cast and machined aluminum if it is not rinsed completely. The best way to avoid this is simple do not use OTC Simple Green. In all fairness, Simple Green does make an aluminum-safe degreaser, but it is about 2-1/2 times the cost of OTC Simple Green. I use Optimum Polymer Technology`s Power Clean for degreasing engines and the outside of vehicles. Not cheap, but very effective.
9) Making the wrong investment initially in detailing equipment and care-car chemicals.
This statement is for week-end warriors and hobbyist who have limited financial means or a budget to getting started in detail. My suggestion is to buy good vehicle wash equipment and car-care chemicals with the first $300 or so. Sounds like a lot of money, but washing is the most common and frequent vehicle detailing process and many detailing "problems" happen in the washing process. There are car-washing kits available from the Autopia Store and don`t forget about the wheels and rims, along with the window-cleaning. Once you`ve assembled that collection, you can budget accordingly for the next phase of your detailing hobby.
10) Not adhering to personal safety practices while detailing.
This one is a separate topic in itself and will be the subject matter for a future thread.But as a teaser, here are some items I think are worth considering:
a) Trip and falls from electrical cords and water hoses, cold weather ice and snow, or platform ladders.
b) Mixing chemicals together or pouring amounts from bulk chemical containers without measuring.
c) Not reading the chemical labels for proper use or required protective gear.
d) Improper attire for hot or cold weather detailing. (Like washing a car without plastic gloves in 38°F weather is impossible, unless you like frozen hypothermic hands)
d) Not realizing how physically-demanding detailing can be or being "self-medicated", legal or illegal.
e) Not paying attention to weather forecasts or current conditions. (Like wiping off a car outside quickly to get it into the garage with a thunderstorm approaching)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pull Ya

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Kinetic-with your experience can you add to this--
Jay

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I completely agree with the list above, these fundamental details make a big difference when working on any car or truck. I especially like #10 as so many often forget about these and end up harming themselves later.

My advice would be to do your research before buying or using a product. A little detail like how long to polish with a given compound or the pad you're using can make you think it's the greatest or the worst thing you've ever used.

Also I'd say to know not only the benefits of a product but also it's limitations as there simply is no perfect product for any given task out there, everything has a con or some sort of drawback to it.

OP
OP
Pull Ya

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know that lots and lots of people use different products and they all swear theirs is the best but IMHO the VERY BEST products are the ones that you'll actually use and YOUR the most satisfied with. New product evolve everyday, learn from someone you trust if you want to try something new, but remember, just cause it works good for me, it might not automatically work good for you. It all depends on the foundation you are working with. Lots of people are here to help, and they have varying degrees of experience and they use a variety of products. And like many many other things---there are no stupid questions!
Jay

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Agreed. Back in the day I went crazy and bought a couple grand worth of detailing stuff after reading the forums for a few months. I quickly figured out, through a lot of testing, that I only regularly use about $500 - $1000 worth of it on a regular basis. Yeah, I fell for every marketing scheme there was but that's where experience is gained. Now I know exactly what to use on any given car with any given color paint.

Lesson is, dont be afraid to screw up and try things out, its how you learn.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357