Clunk from P to R, is it normal? Mine is a 2023 3500 RAM diesel 6.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jorodriguezji

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hi everyone!! I just have couple of week with my new 3500 RAM 6.7 Diesel and a lot of time the shifting from P to R is a very laud “clunk”. Is that normal? Highly appreciate yours inputs. Best!!

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Could be many things maybe it needs to break in a bit? your truck is still under warranty I would have dealership look at it.

Last edited:

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I know when I had my HO equipped truck with the aisin trans, that thing would clunk so bad when shifted no matter what. And man, if you changed gears without coming to a complete stop, if would jerk your teeth loose. Now with the 68RFE trans, no clunk.

Last edited:

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
The Aisin does this, for sure. I learned to pause momentarily in neutral, and you will hear it "unload", then it will not bang when changing direction or going into park. Just another quirk of the Aisin.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I switch the transmission too quickly from reverse to drive without fully stopping and a short pause, my Warlock will occasionally clunk a little. :cool:

I always stop before shifting but the pause time seems important to avoid the slight clunk noise.

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
The aisin transmissions are notiously clunky and noisy and jerky relative to other light duty truck transmissions. Obviously a loud bang is not normal, but a little clunk wouldn't concern me. It's a meaty transmission meant for heavy work.

Wallyb4

Retired EWC(SW/AW) 1983-2003
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Make sure you are not parked on any kind of a incline. Also before you take your foot off the brake engage the parking brake. That will help reduce the strain/pressure on the transmission in park.