Code P1C4E ...Before you buy an ABS Module

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ccmano

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So a few weeks ago I suddenly started having my dash lights go crazy warning of impending doom with the ABS, Trailer brake, ASR and Check engine lights flashing and finally staying on. Plugged in the AlfaOBD and got the salad of codes shown below. Reading about the issue here on the forum I discovered I'm merely one of a multitude that have this common problem. I decided to clear the codes and see what happened. A week later they were back! I cleared again and started doing more research. The next day they were back again. Generally the go to fix for this issue appears to be replacement of the ABS Module and/or the ABS HCU. An outside possibility being the wheel speed sensors if the codes indicate that, mine didn't. One of the dozens of posts on this issue here indicated an issue with corrosion of the wiring harness connector to the ABS Module. (Sorry don't recall their name) So with nothing to loose I thought let's check the connector before I order parts. On my 2014 Ram 2500 the Module is easy to get to from the top of the driver side engine compartment. It sits on the frame leg below and slightly behind the battery. Everything looked clean and tidy. After removing the plastic cover the connector is accessible. It's a lever type locking connector. I rotated the lever and was greeted with a gritty feeling as I pulled off the connector. I hosed down the connector and Module contacts with electronic connector cleaner several times, and packed the connector side with di-electric grease and put the whole thing back together. That was 3 weeks ago. No lights and codes have returned. The truck drives great. I'm cautiously optimistic that the problem is solved. If this is the case, I suspect many of the modules are getting replaced for nothing more than corroded contacts. While this this may not be a solution for everyone, it just might be worth a try before you put out the money for an ABS Module replacement. Hope this helps someone....
H

52983540197_e5fb75a63f_c.jpg

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good job. Hope it solves your problem:

There's a reason they put large bold print across the top of each page of factory service manual troubleshooting pages to ensure the Battery is good, grounds and connections are good, and to ensure component connectors are good & clean. ...before starting down the troubleshooting tree.

But in NV, I wouldn't think connector corrosion would be that big of an issue. Another plausable explanation is there could be a bad solder joint inside the unit (a known issue on other ABC controllers), and in the process of removing and reconnecting the connector you disturbed a partially faulty joint, making the connection positive again. Whatever you did, hope it continues to work. Keep us posted if the fault returns.

14Sport1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So a few weeks ago I suddenly started having my dash lights go crazy warning of impending doom with the ABS, Trailer brake, ASR and Check engine lights flashing and finally staying on. Plugged in the AlfaOBD and got the salad of codes shown below. Reading about the issue here on the forum I discovered I'm merely one of a multitude that have this common problem. I decided to clear the codes and see what happened. A week later they were back! I cleared again and started doing more research. The next day they were back again. Generally the go to fix for this issue appears to be replacement of the ABS Module and/or the ABS HCU. An outside possibility being the wheel speed sensors if the codes indicate that, mine didn't. One of the dozens of posts on this issue here indicated an issue with corrosion of the wiring harness connector to the ABS Module. (Sorry don't recall their name) So with nothing to loose I thought let's check the connector before I order parts. On my 2014 Ram 2500 the Module is easy to get to from the top of the driver side engine compartment. It sits on the frame leg below and slightly behind the battery. Everything looked clean and tidy. After removing the plastic cover the connector is accessible. It's a lever type locking connector. I rotated the lever and was greeted with a gritty feeling as I pulled off the connector. I hosed down the connector and Module contacts with electronic connector cleaner several times, and packed the connector side with di-electric grease and put the whole thing back together. That was 3 weeks ago. No lights and codes have returned. The truck drives great. I'm cautiously optimistic that the problem is solved. If this is the case, I suspect many of the modules are getting replaced for nothing more than corroded contacts. While this this may not be a solution for everyone, it just might be worth a try before you put out the money for an ABS Module replacement. Hope this helps someone....
H

View attachment 523701

14Sport1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
THANK YOU!! Walked out of the local repair shop this am that I usually take all of my vehicles to, completely disappointed from the "this could get pretty expensive" repair news I had just received (I didn't stick around for the specific details). A buddy sent me your post, so I thought...Why not?! As of today, 353 miles into your suggested fix, and no check engine or ABS lights.

Really does make one think...how many people have been forced to pay for ABS module replacement.

Thank you again! Here's your virtual Bud Light! Oops correction...Corona! Cheers

OP
OP
ccmano

ccmano

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So on mine, this fix lasted about 2700 miles. Including 2 long trailering trips. Yesterday my cluster lit up like a Christmas tree again. Re-did the connection but no dice this time. My order is in for an ABS Control module. Still it was worth a try and bought me some time. As was mentioned the issue likely lies on the circuit board.
H