cold air intake????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

newguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 express
Engine
penstar v6
I have a brand new 2014 1500 with a v6. I can find cold air kits for the 5.7 Hemi will that work on the 3.6L v6?

I read somewhere that it would but can't find it now.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Buy yourself a Green or S&B flat panel filter for your stock airbox.
Grab some flexible 4" or 5" ducting.
Cut hole in bottom of stock airbox. Insert duct.
Put lower end near bottom of bumper, facing forward some.
Enjoy your new DIY ram-air setup knowing you save hundreds over us suckers who have bought aftermarket stuff that won't perform any better than yours.

I'd sell my $475 worth of S&B except I'd lose so much on the deal so I'll just keep it...

adam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v-8
Not sure but check with your dealer about installing cold air intakes mine here in Ct don't like the idea of them and said could mess with warranties . Can't hurt to ask

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure but check with your dealer about installing cold air intakes mine here in Ct don't like the idea of them and said could mess with warranties . Can't hurt to ask
Especially if it's home made.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What's home made- adding a "ram air" tube? If done well it would sure attract a lot less attention than the smooth intake tube and clear window my S&B intake has. Home mad add on= aftermarket as far as how much a dealer could screw you over. But you wouldn't have spent/wasted a bunch of money.

OP
OP
N

newguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 express
Engine
penstar v6
I'll check with my dealer before I add anything. I got the unlimited miles and years warranty and sure font want to mess that up.

Oilbelcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Laramie Limited Diesel
Engine
Diesel 3.0
Save hundreds by keeping stock. Read other threads that explain why there is zero power gain in modern computer controlled engines. CAi does let more air through, but the ECU doesn't care, and will throttle back it's call for air. Unless you tune ECU, it's worthless for power and mpg reasons.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Don't even think its worth the hassle or money with a V6.

Should have bought a hemi.lol

OP
OP
N

newguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 express
Engine
penstar v6
Not in it for the power but mpg. That's why I got the v6. 25+ mpg is way better in my book.

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not in it for the power but mpg. That's why I got the v6. 25+ mpg is way better in my book.

If you can find one that don't break the bank. They are worth it in my opinion. I put a K&N cold air on my wife's 4cyc Terrain. And it gained about 2-3mpgs. I knew going into it that I wouldn't gain any power and that's not what I wanted. I wanted that extra few MPGs

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket

gunner1374

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7

All depends on what you are looking for I guess. I guess I would rather drive a V6 Ram over an SUV any day too.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, well you should be happy with 25mpg, if you want more than that buy a car...

OP
OP
N

newguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 express
Engine
penstar v6
I'm more then pleased wasn't expecting to get that. Car isn't a viable option with deer to throw in the back and trips to illinois for hunting.

Called my dealer and they said no warranty would be voided but if a check engine light came on do to the CAI I would be responsible for it.

So back to the question. Will a CAI for a Hemi work or do I just wait for them to come out with one specifically for mine.

Oilbelcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 3.0
There are only one of two reasons that auto man'f don't make a CAI standard: 1) it doesn't produce more MPG or 2) it compromises engine life due to dirt reaching engine (oil based media). Cost is not a reason... They could mass purchase a plastic CAI for about same as stock.

Now, think about how Government are forcing CAFE standards, fleet level fuel economy standards. This forces man'f to spend billions in R&D. If executives learned from the engineers that all they had to do was make a CAI standard, they would be fired for not noticing this cheap solution before. The man'f would kill for a solution that offers 2-3 mpg for only a hundred bucks (your cost at 200 would be much less for them if they bought millions due to purchasing power).

Same logic behind false claims that a tonneau cover improves MPG by 10%. Every truck would come standard with one, and you would have to lot out of the cover as an option. See the Consumer Reports test of covers on a 2013 Ram 1500. The cover worsened MPG. So e disagree with findings, that's fine. You should make up your own mind, don't listen to any one person including me. But follow logic of what the man'f is doing.

Oilbelcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 3.0
If get a CAI, at least stay away from oil based media. See other threads about the extremely elevated risk of dirt passage of this media.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm more then pleased wasn't expecting to get that. Car isn't a viable option with deer to throw in the back and trips to illinois for hunting.

Called my dealer and they said no warranty would be voided but if a check engine light came on do to the CAI I would be responsible for it.

So back to the question. Will a CAI for a Hemi work or do I just wait for them to come out with one specifically for mine.

Without looking at it in person and just pics
http://stwot.motortrend.com/files/2012/12/2013-Ram-1500-3.6L-Pentastar-V6-engine.jpg

I would say, but it would very easy to at least make one using some spectre performance parts... Not sure if it's going to help.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Save hundreds by keeping stock. Read other threads that explain why there is zero power gain in modern computer controlled engines. CAi does let more air through, but the ECU doesn't care, and will throttle back it's call for air. Unless you tune ECU, it's worthless for power and mpg reasons.

Some engines that might be true, but I know for a fact that my vararam did give me more power.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
There are only one of two reasons that auto man'f don't make a CAI standard: 1) it doesn't produce more MPG or 2) it compromises engine life due to dirt reaching engine (oil based media). Cost is not a reason... They could mass purchase a plastic CAI for about same as stock.

Now, think about how Government are forcing CAFE standards, fleet level fuel economy standards. This forces man'f to spend billions in R&D. If executives learned from the engineers that all they had to do was make a CAI standard, they would be fired for not noticing this cheap solution before. The man'f would kill for a solution that offers 2-3 mpg for only a hundred bucks (your cost at 200 would be much less for them if they bought millions due to purchasing power).

Same logic behind false claims that a tonneau cover improves MPG by 10%. Every truck would come standard with one, and you would have to lot out of the cover as an option. See the Consumer Reports test of covers on a 2013 Ram 1500. The cover worsened MPG. So e disagree with findings, that's fine. You should make up your own mind, don't listen to any one person including me. But follow logic of what the man'f is doing.

This does make sense but there is one aspect you are missing, noise. Most of the time the Cold air intakes will make a little more power and or add mpg's but it gives you more engine noise, nowadays customers want the quietest vehicle they can get, so car manufacturers have to walk the fine line of performance and noise control. My wifes grand Cherokee has the pentastar v6 in it, there is a gigantic baffle/resonating chamber in the 5' long air duct going to the throttle body. That sure doesn't help flow but makes it quieter. My fusion had 3 different little chambers on the air duct to quiet it down and it was only about 1' long. The airbox itself is also designed to be as quiet as possible, but for the most part most airbox's nowadays have plenty of flow to keep up, it just depends on where it pulls the air from.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Island-cowboy