Cold Weather Prep

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Painkiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I just moved into the Far North (above 60* LAT) from the Deep South and want to make sure I get the truck prepped adequately for the harsh Winters here (-45* F is common) and do what work I can myself before I have to take into a shop. Truck is a 2018 Rebel (which I hear has issues with the bags in the extreme cold) with the only mod being a MOPAR CAI running RP 5w-20 with a RP filter.

1. Best Oil weight for the cold? (If I asked for the best brand this thread would never end)
2. Change stock Anti-freeze to something else?
3. Stock Brake Fluid work?
4. Engine mod installs? (battery heater/engine heater/rad hose heater/tank heater)
5. Can I do anything about the bags now or should I wait to see if they'll fail?
6. Any other modifications you'd recommend? (Truck only, Buffalo Bore .338 ammo is a bit rich for my blood)

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
0w20 in a brand that has the desirable specs, do not worry about the rating, it is a stronger oil then 5w20 assuming desirable specs, Mercedes, Porsche, Dexos, and a few other fiat and volks. If you seen all of the cold flow video's, RP would be the worst, just google youtube motor oil cold flow tests and see the results first hand. m1 has great 0w20, and an even better 0w30, which is likely were I'd go. Bottom line people somehow think 5w20 is magically thicker then 0w20, but that is often not the case. Stay in grade specs forced oil mixers to make 0 winter rated oils their best effort oils.

Start fluid filming that baby, every year before winter, lest you get the cancer.

Anti freeze should be fine.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
So I just moved into the Far North (above 60* LAT) from the Deep South and want to make sure I get the truck prepped adequately for the harsh Winters here (-45* F is common) and do what work I can myself before I have to take into a shop. Truck is a 2018 Rebel (which I hear has issues with the bags in the extreme cold) with the only mod being a MOPAR CAI running RP 5w-20 with a RP filter.

1. Best Oil weight for the cold? (If I asked for the best brand this thread would never end)
4. Engine mod installs? (battery heater/engine heater/rad hose heater/tank heater)
5. Can I do anything about the bags now or should I wait to see if they'll fail?
6. Any other modifications you'd recommend? (Truck only, Buffalo Bore .338 ammo is a bit rich for my blood)

Id use 0W30 or 0w20 and a block heater and heated battery blanket. Redline’s 0W20 is amazing. It literally will not shear its viscosity.

Anti-freeze you will want to drain and refil with more concentration. I would just Call the antifreeze manufacturer you will use for specifics of ratio.

Air bags....a heated garage will help. Other than that im not sure about the airbags.

Make sure you are using a TRUE synthetic motor oil.

Seriously!!!

switch to an Ester POA base as they perform way better in the extreme cold versus group 3 synthetic. But to be fair. Mobil 1 0W oils performance fantastically in extreme cold. Cold flow test prove it. German castrol is probably another good one. Amsoil too.

Id run 75w90 in my diffs

A grill cover may be necessary to help get your temps up faster

Break fluid should be OK but switching to something like Redline RL600 or equivalent can only help.

I assume you have electric power steering? If not use a good synthetic trans fluid for the pump. Like redline C+ATF or amsoil ATF.

A gel battery may be another good idea but im not sure if it is necessary.

Use ing a fuel additive that fights ethanol will help keep water from freezing in your fuel system but being you have a gasser it may not be needed. Dont know.

Id rather be over prepared that not

Can i ask were about you are going? Canada i assume? 60 lat it way up there. Im jelly

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

If it doesn't have a block heater,you'll probably want to install one,or put an oil pan heater on it.Personally i'd do a 100 to 150 watt stick on pan heater instead of a block heater.It's the cold thick oil that makes them hard to start in the winter,not the anti-freeze. The rest of the truck should be okay ,but i'd check the anti-freeze strength just to be safe. Adding a battery blanket isn't a bad idea either

MoparBrent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I live where it hits -53(-65 with the windchill). Have a 2016 Ram 1500 Sport. I'll tell you right now you're going to be bringing your truck to a dealership ALOT for air suspension repairs.

1. I just run redline 5W-20 with a 10-48 RP filter year round, no issues

2. No need to change your anti-freeze

3. Yes stock brake fluid will work fine

4. You will absolutely want a block heater, plug it in every night with a 2-3 hour timer before you wake up

5. Honestly if you're going to be living up north for quite awhile, ill be blunt and say look at buying a new truck or spend big bucks to have it all ripped out and put in a normal suspension.

6. Nothing specific to cold weather, but mod it however you like. The cold weather won't have any real negative effect on mods unless you live in an area like me where the amount of annual snowfall is crazy, then stuff like a vararam intake becomes an issue.

E1DEB6FC-9369-4F1E-8870-DC7BD4C75261.jpeg

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im in central canada and we get some dang cold weather. manitoba.

I have air suspension so hopefully no issues lol. I also park outside.

OP
OP
Painkiller

Painkiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im in central canada and we get some dang cold weather. manitoba.

I have air suspension so hopefully no issues lol. I also park outside.

I'd imagine with all those lakes and being right next to Hudson Bay that the Lake Effect would be downright awful.

Was your air suspension come installed (like the with Rebel) or was it an aftermarket install?

I bought my truck in FL so it came prepped for that muggy, hot, saltwater environment. I know that depending on the area you purchase your vehicle in, dealers will have different set up features for their vehicles. Wondering if the suspension fill would be the same as say a tire fill (room air vs N2) in these cases.

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd imagine with all those lakes and being right next to Hudson Bay that the Lake Effect would be downright awful.

Was your air suspension come installed (like the with Rebel) or was it an aftermarket install?

I bought my truck in FL so it came prepped for that muggy, hot, saltwater environment. I know that depending on the area you purchase your vehicle in, dealers will have different set up features for their vehicles. Wondering if the suspension fill would be the same as say a tire fill (room air vs N2) in these cases.
The vehicle was Canadian purchased and factory air ride system.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
Painkiller

Painkiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Use up all your windshield sauce blasting off those bugs you'll be hitting, and put winter stuff in. Ice will crack the windshield wash reservoir.

Pretty sure the Rebel was more Bug than Truck when I finally arrived up here. I've been replenishing the sauce pretty regularly, but will make sure I get the -25 variety for winter.

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pretty sure the Rebel was more Bug than Truck when I finally arrived up here. I've been replenishing the sauce pretty regularly, but will make sure I get the -25 variety for winter.
Costco Carrie's 4 jugs of green -45 stuff for 10,99 for the case.
Works great and I find way better then the rain ex winter stuff.plus it's cheaper.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
I lived in Mesa, Az. as a high schooler, then in lake Charles, Louisiana for over a decade. Now I hate the hot, muggy, buggy South. If I ever left Southern Illinois, I'd move North.

Best of luck a Rebel is a mighty fine truck.