Air suspension problems in the cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shawn Burns

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently experienced an air suspension issue on my 16 Rebel for the 2nd time. It has been relatively cold this week in PA. Probably nicer than springtime in Otawa, but cold for us. I came out to my truck to drive to work and I received the service air suspension immediately warning on the dash. The bags did not deflate like last time.

I started doing my research and I followed the advise from this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAJLt5FwZiQ

Adding brake line anti-freeze to the line behind the rear tail light fixed my problem.

Do you think that I could add brake line anti-freeze to the system every year to prevent this issue from happening?

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I think you would be better off getting it purged and refilled with nitrogen. If there are no leaks (could even be very tiny), it is likely air or moisture which is causing issue during cold periods.

Where I am currently, it's -24c and I have no issues, but it's a Rebel 5th gen and newer.

You could do it yourself, in the spring/summer. Or find a local shop to do it. Of course Dealer would as well, but would likely find some "other" problem.

There are few videos and how-to's around. Doesn't seem all that hard.
Example I copied from one of them.

Supplies:
R-134a Gauge Set
Nitrogen tank from local welding supply store
Nitrogen regulator
Adapter
Vacuum pump

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Also there is Tool you can purchase to do it.
But it's very costly. $800-$1000

Mopar Tools 2062700020 Air Suspension Refill Tool

MSandRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently experienced an air suspension issue on my 16 Rebel for the 2nd time. It has been relatively cold this week in PA. Probably nicer than springtime in Otawa, but cold for us. I came out to my truck to drive to work and I received the service air suspension immediately warning on the dash. The bags did not deflate like last time.

I started doing my research and I followed the advise from this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAJLt5FwZiQ

Adding brake line anti-freeze to the line behind the rear tail light fixed my problem.

Do you think that I could add brake line anti-freeze to the system every year to prevent this issue from happening?
If you’re coming out to your truck in the morning and finding any or all bags deflated, you have a leak. It’s just going to get worse and wear out your pump. You need to find the leak(s).

OP
OP
S

Shawn Burns

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you’re coming out to your truck in the morning and finding any or all bags deflated, you have a leak. It’s just going to get worse and wear out your pump. You need to find the leak(s).
This is not a regular occurrence. Rather, this has happened twice. Both times in blustery cold (at least for PA). The first time, the truck went to the stops in the front. This time, the level stayed mostly equal despite the pump being frozen. Otherwise, the system works flawlessly in normal temps.

This is a common problem with owners of pre-2017 4th generation trucks in cold climates. Similarly to cam problems and hemi tick, it affects some, but not all.

Bourgeois

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have a 2019 Limited that this happened to a week ago. i heard air, like an 18 wheeler and my front driver was really lower than the rest of the truck and it pulled to that side. My husband put in 4 wheel height and lowered it and took it to the dealer, who didn't find any issues but charged a diagnostic fee of $164!

MSandRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is not a regular occurrence. Rather, this has happened twice. Both times in blustery cold (at least for PA). The first time, the truck went to the stops in the front. This time, the level stayed mostly equal despite the pump being frozen. Otherwise, the system works flawlessly in normal temps.

This is a common problem with owners of pre-2017 4th generation trucks in cold climates. Similarly to cam problems and hemi tick, it affects some, but not all.
If your pump is frozen, that means you have moisture in the system. You have moisture in the system because the air pump has drawn in outside air to replace nitrogen that has leaked out. The 2 nitrogen tanks above your spare tire contain more then enough airmass to raise, lower and load level your truck without the need to draw in outside air. So essentially a sealed system. Till it leaks.

Daniel12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L

Did they change something in 2017 models? I have a 2017 truck that was built in September 2016 and have not had any air related issues with my system yet. Just a wire corroding through. I thought this was weird as I read about all the problems with this system that I’ve been dodging even in Canada.

LEONRAVEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello everyone. I have been battling this issue for 2 years now and I could use any help that can be given. I have a 2017 Rebel with 250xxx miles on it. My issue started when it dropped to about -20. My rear bags deflated and it blew fuses. The dealer fixed and replaced one bag in the rear. Fast forward to the summer...I started having issues where the passenger side rear would deflate randomly with no load. I would have to stop, shut down, open door, start it, lower it and then raise to normal. My truck is currently in the shop again for it issue. They have replaced...Compressor, ACM module, Distribution block, sensors, and no joy. Luckily I have the Mopar MAX care however, if they cant figure it out what good is it. This has all been done in the last visit.

They said they checked for leaks, refilled nitrogen, etc and its usually only the RR that deflates however, it could include the right front.. It puts the truck at a weird geometry and it bounces terribly.

It's been to three Ram dealers so far.

It does sometimes give warning on the dash as service air suspension and sometimes the control lights will just blink or in some instances just disappear. On the dash i will sometimes give a raising light but doesn't move. The compressor becomes noisy and i can hear while driving at highway speeds.

OP
OP
S

Shawn Burns

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If your pump is frozen, that means you have moisture in the system. You have moisture in the system because the air pump has drawn in outside air to replace nitrogen that has leaked out. The 2 nitrogen tanks above your spare tire contain more then enough airmass to raise, lower and load level your truck without the need to draw in outside air. So essentially a sealed system. Till it leaks.
I have trouble believing that the system is a sealed system for this generation. How could it be sealed when there is an air line leading from the pump with a two-way filter attached to it behind the RH tail light? You can blow air through both ends of the filter.

Also using your logic, if there was a leak in the system, how could we explain the system working flawlessly for the other, roughly, 1600 days that I've driven the truck. Wouldn't at least one corner of the truck be deflated when I came out to it after it sat over night? Or even for a week while I'm on vacation? You would think under those circumstances the pump would have to run non stop to keep the bags inflated?

OP
OP
S

Shawn Burns

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did they change something in 2017 models? I have a 2017 truck that was built in September 2016 and have not had any air related issues with my system yet. Just a wire corroding through. I thought this was weird as I read about all the problems with this system that I’ve been dodging even in Canada.
I am not sure about other models besides the Rebel. From my understanding, they did not offer the air suspension as an option for one of the years after 2016 and it came back for a later model. Speculation was that there were improvements made to fix the issues that we were having, especially in cold climates.

OP
OP
S

Shawn Burns

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello everyone. I have been battling this issue for 2 years now and I could use any help that can be given. I have a 2017 Rebel with 250xxx miles on it. My issue started when it dropped to about -20. My rear bags deflated and it blew fuses. The dealer fixed and replaced one bag in the rear. Fast forward to the summer...I started having issues where the passenger side rear would deflate randomly with no load. I would have to stop, shut down, open door, start it, lower it and then raise to normal. My truck is currently in the shop again for it issue. They have replaced...Compressor, ACM module, Distribution block, sensors, and no joy. Luckily I have the Mopar MAX care however, if they cant figure it out what good is it. This has all been done in the last visit.

They said they checked for leaks, refilled nitrogen, etc and its usually only the RR that deflates however, it could include the right front.. It puts the truck at a weird geometry and it bounces terribly.

It's been to three Ram dealers so far.

It does sometimes give warning on the dash as service air suspension and sometimes the control lights will just blink or in some instances just disappear. On the dash i will sometimes give a raising light but doesn't move. The compressor becomes noisy and i can hear while driving at highway speeds.
I am sorry that you are goig through all of these troubles. I don't believe that my issue is the same as yours. Personally, if I was at your point, I would convert to coil springs. That is my plan if/when this happens to mine.

What else is there to replace besides what they've done?

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have trouble believing that the system is a sealed system for this generation. How could it be sealed when there is an air line leading from the pump with a two-way filter attached to it behind the RH tail light? You can blow air through both ends of the filter.

Also using your logic, if there was a leak in the system, how could we explain the system working flawlessly for the other, roughly, 1600 days that I've driven the truck. Wouldn't at least one corner of the truck be deflated when I came out to it after it sat over night? Or even for a week while I'm on vacation? You would think under those circumstances the pump would have to run non stop to keep the bags inflated?

It is technically a closed sealed system. But that doesn't mean it can't be refilled and/or lose pressure over time.

Now there are some people that claim nitrogen over time lowers and then system detects that, pulls in outside air to bring pressure back up(this is why there is filter, as you only want air, not garbage).
Which is basically Ram's version of stop gap. What they didn't count on, is people in cold weather and moisture freezing.
( I live near lakes, at times relatively high humidity)

If that above is true or not. Hard to say. Nothing is '100%' sealed. So over time, you could lose pressure.

Just like everything else on your truck. You need to do maintenance. Example change oil at least one a year even if you don't drive 10KM or whatever miles. You change your brakes, tires, etc.
Every 2 or 3 years, vacuum the system, check for leaks, refill nitrogen, change lines if they are rusty , etc...

Just like Ram claiming Transmission fluid is lifetime, but manufacture says 100K, some people do it at 50K.