What should the coolant temp be?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

acolic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi

Did my first coolant flush and fill on my 2015 ram.

I put in a 202F thermostat per my dealer.

I’ve noticed that the coolant temperature stays between 195 and 200 throughout a long drive.

I understand that at 202°F the thermostat will open and allow cooler coolant to come back into the engine block.

I am wondering why the coolant temperature does not drop further after the thermostat opens.

The coolant just seems to stay between 195 and 200F.

Thanks for the explanation

Alex

OP
OP
A

acolic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi,

It does.

I just thought that once the coolant went to radiator, with the wind blowing through the radiator, and the radiator fan on the coolant temperature would dropped almost to the ambient outside temperature.

aszumilo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi,

It does.

I just thought that once the coolant went to radiator, with the wind blowing through the radiator, and the radiator fan on the coolant temperature would dropped almost to the ambient outside temperature.
You'll never get coolant down to ambient temps. Thermostat regulates the temps by opening and closing. Engine is designed to run at those temps.