Crazy distortion with new speakers. Will an amp solve this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G-Ride990

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Turn them on then turn them up, no such thing as breaking them in. If anything they should be better new the material has had no breakdown. God I must be getting old that everything has to be babied before you can actually use it.

I never said anything about babying speakers.

Now tell me there is no difference between a well used subwoofer and a brand new one... There absolutely is when it comes to responsiveness and tone.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I never said anything about babying speakers.

Now tell me there is no difference between a well used subwoofer and a brand new one... There absolutely is when it comes to responsiveness and tone.
There can be, as the suspension loosens, the parameters can change ever so slightly.
Doors, mid and tweeters, your golden, let em rock!

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Checked out a sub box, so may sell my VSS plug and play sub and start on my custom project sooner than later. :)

OP
OP
G-Ride990

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Checked out a sub box, so may sell my VSS plug and play sub and start on my custom project sooner than later. :)
What box are you looking at? There aren't many options out there. I was thinking about going custom fiberglass but it has been years since I have messed with that stuff.

OP
OP
G-Ride990

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do they make a 4th gen box? Their boxes are reasonably priced and look awesome, especially that 5th gen stage 3 box. wow!

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Do they make a 4th gen box? Their boxes are reasonably priced and look awesome, especially that 5th gen stage 3 box. wow!
Yes I emailed yesterday, they do. I'm going to do a Stage 2. $880 shipped.

KC Cryptkeeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
actually, subs for sure are better broken in, even above freezing.

In the commercial world there is no break in time, but then again I'm talking high end audio and I'm old enough to say things like old Rockford Punch speakers didn't need breaking in either.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
In the commercial world there is no break in time, but then again I'm talking high end audio and I'm old enough to say things like old Rockford Punch speakers didn't need breaking in either.
In the consumer audio world, some recommend it on subwoofers. Loosens the suspension, which changes the thiele/small parameters ever so slightly.
Most commercial stuff is a different speaker, low excursion, no need for huge power. (depending on application)

KC Cryptkeeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In the consumer audio world, some recommend it on subwoofers. Loosens the suspension, which changes the thiele/small parameters ever so slightly.
Most commercial stuff is a different speaker, low excursion, no need for huge power. (depending on application)

Like I said not in my world earlier.

OP
OP
G-Ride990

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyways, break in or not, last piece of the puzzle arrived today.

I have a long and very hot weekend ahead of me.

This is my first kicker setup and these are less power than I wanted but I hope this setup rocks the house!

IMG_20190822_160452370_HDR~2.jpg

scottnotseanpenn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Components need time to break in just like subs. You’ll hear a difference within 30 days.

I’m not sure why someone would think your question was funny. It’s an excellent question

scottnotseanpenn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why did you go with the Kicker Comps? Not that there’s anything wrong with them, but having owned these and JL’s, I found the latter hit harder. Just my opinion.

OP
OP
G-Ride990

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Components need time to break in just like subs. You’ll hear a difference within 30 days.

I’m not sure why someone would think your question was funny. It’s an excellent question

My door speakers sound awesome now that I have been listening to them for a while. But I still can't turn them up as loud as I want.

Why did you go with the Kicker Comps? Not that there’s anything wrong with them, but having owned these and JL’s, I found the latter hit harder. Just my opinion.

I wanted all of the pieces of the system to be the same brand and to match as much as possible. I have no doubt there is better stuff out there but at this point I am already a couple thousand dollars into this setup. Added up quicker than I thought it would haha. I am hoping this setup will hold me off until I upgrade at some point down the line. I seriously considered JL too but the KXA amps did it for me. The bluetooth adjustment is really cool.

I am hoping to get a chance to install everything during the week or this next weekend.