Crazy Hellcat thought

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adamdontknow

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 and 2020
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello all! First post here.
Hope this finds the right brains.

I have a Hellcat engine and contemplated putting it in my 04 Ram 1500. After research it seems like a project that's probably above my skill level and probably more costly than I want.
So far out crazy thought. Would it be possible to machine the 04 Hemi 5.7 block to accommodate the Hellcat rotating assembly. Then also use the Hellcat heads on top. Then for now maybe put a 392 intake manifold on top with the possibility of putting the Hellcat supercharger on top. The front accessory cover would be from the 04 so all current hoses and wiring could be used. Is this crazy, or possible? Am I missing anything? Thank you for any and all help!!

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In my opinion, I personally think you'd be better off retro fitting the hellcat engine in the truck Anything is possible with enough money and determination though. Good luck and welcome

OP
OP
A

adamdontknow

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 and 2020
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks! My thought is that would be considerably cheaper and easier to do it the other way and still make plenty of horsepower.

OP
OP
A

adamdontknow

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 and 2020
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks! My thought is that would be considerably cheaper and easier to do it the other way and still make plenty of horsepower. But I guess I truly don't know the cost associated with the Hellcat retrofit into the 04 Truck.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When doing something like this nobody knows the true cost of it. It's a custom job that will always have unknowns. There will always be something that pops up unexpectedly and not planned for. If it was simple and cheap we'd all be adding 700hp to our trucks. If you're looking for more power out of your truck then talk to a reputable engine builder to see what they recommend doing.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Would it be possible to machine the 04 Hemi 5.7 block to accommodate the Hellcat rotating assembly. Then also use the Hellcat heads on top. Then for now maybe put a 392 intake manifold on top with the possibility of putting the Hellcat supercharger on top. The front accessory cover would be from the 04 so all current hoses and wiring could be used. Is this crazy, or possible? Am I missing anything? Thank you for any and all help!!
5.7 = 3.91" bore
6.4/6.2 = 4.09" bore
Not enough meat to comfortably bore for pistons that size
They have the same stroke however the 6.2 is a VVT engine, the crank won't work in your pre-VVT block (it would bolt in to an eagle 5.7).
The heads would bolt on to your block and function, but even with a sizable overbore there will be significant valve shrouding due to the much larger valves. Using the Hellcat heads will preclude using a 392 intake manifold (or any other intake manifold for that matter) as the bolt pattern is different (truck 6.4 heads are basically hellcat heads with a normal intake pattern). Putting the hellcat blower on top of the 392 manifold......I don't even know what to say to that, unless you mean the manifold first, then the blower later. Regardless, that won't work.
Front accessory drive on a 3rd gen Ram is quite unique and your AC comp & alternator would be right in the way.
If you want to use it in your 04 you will need:
Standalone engine management - you may get lucky here, Holley has a system that seems to be compatible with the PCI gauges
Revised front accessory drive - this will require custom hoses if you intend to keep the AC and lengthening some wires
Custom built intercooler loop
Much heavier duty cooling system - will also require ditching the clutch fan for an electric one
Much upgraded fuel system to feed it
Trans strong enough to handle the power long term - you will need to swap to something else, 518, 8HP90; your stock trans won't take it. It can barely take stock power sometimes.
Everything behind the trans
ALOT more tire

And probably some other things I'm missing that weren't right off the top of my head. Though they may or may not be cheaper, there are easier ways to accomplish 700 hp in your truck (it's been done) than trying to force a Hellcat to work in it.

OP
OP
A

adamdontknow

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 and 2020
Engine
Hemi 5.7
5.7 = 3.91" bore
6.4/6.2 = 4.09" bore
They have the same stroke however the 6.2 is a VVT engine, the crank won't work in your pre-VVT block (it would bolt in to an eagle 5.7).
The heads would bolt on to your block and function, but even with a sizable overbore there will be significant valve shrouding due to the much larger valves. Using the Hellcat heads will preclude using a 392 intake manifold (or any other intake manifold for that matter) as the bolt pattern is different (truck 6.4 heads are basically hellcat heads with a normal intake pattern). Putting the hellcat blower on top of the 392 manifold......I don't even know what to say to that, unless you mean the manifold first, then the blower later. Regardless, that won't work.
Front accessory drive on a 3rd gen Ram is quite unique and your AC comp & alternator would be right in the way.
Standalone engine management - you may get lucky here, Holley has a system that seems to be compatible with the PCI gauges
Revised front accessory drive - this will require custom hoses if you intend to keep the AC and lengthening some wires
Much heavier duty cooling system - will also require ditching the clutch fan for an electric one
Trans strong enough to handle the power long term - you will need to swap to something else, 518, 8HP90; your stock trans won't take it. It can barely take stock power sometimes.
ALOT more tire

And probably some other things I'm missing that weren't right off the top of my head. Though they may or may not be cheaper, there are easier ways to accomplish 700 hp in your truck (it's been done) than trying to force a Hellcat to work in it.

OP
OP
A

adamdontknow

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 and 2020
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you! This is exactly the answer I was looking for. I was pretty sure putting the Hellcat in the truck was above my abilities. I was more uncertain about how the Hellcat rotating assembly would do in the 5.7 but you answered that perfectly as well. And yes I did mean swapping the 392 intake out for the Supercharger at a later date not stacking them. Lol.
Thanks for your time and explanations!
Time to sell a Hellcat abd fund a build for a 5.7!

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
FYI the Hellcat will drop right into your 2020 (if it is a hemi truck).

OP
OP
A

adamdontknow

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 and 2020
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is a Hemi truck!! 2020 Ram Rebel

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
5.7 = 3.91" bore
6.4/6.2 = 4.09" bore
ALOT more tire

Maybe buy a TRX??? lol

OP
OP
A

adamdontknow

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 and 2020
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lol. Right!
The project is an 04 Rumblebee 2wd single cab. So slightly different setup than TRX.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It is a Hemi truck!! 2020 Ram Rebel
There ya go.
Maybe buy a TRX??? lol
Them's some $$. Plus they're speed limited. Takes off like a bat outta hell but they're limited to 118 mph stock (tires). One pulled my 392 Charger off the line at a light but he only had a car length on me before I passed him lol.
Lol. Right!
The project is an 04 Rumblebee 2wd single cab. So slightly different setup than TRX.
Scroll through some of this guy's posts: https://www.ramforum.com/threads/check-out-my-new-aluminum-468-for-my-daytona.110191/

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There ya go.

Them's some $$. Plus they're speed limited. Takes off like a bat outta hell but they're limited to 118 mph stock (tires). One pulled my 392 Charger off the line at a light but he only had a car length on me before I passed him lol.

Scroll through some of this guy's posts: https://www.ramforum.com/threads/check-out-my-new-aluminum-468-for-my-daytona.110191/
Hey, go in on a j-ailbait app or something and remove the limiter. But of course, U gotta do some upgrades, maybe brakes, higher speed tires and such, LOL. My MC is limited at 124.7 mph, which for a trike is more than fast enuf. With that being such a new truck, bet they got them CPU/Brains locked down hard.

I had a Crown Vic up over 135 mph one afternoon, and that was straight up OMG white knuckle driving. Ford always had them floating front ends, lmao.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yeah, everything since 2015 is encrypted. Would require an unlocked PCM. Yeah I can't see CV being good for high speeds, that front end didn't exactly look like it was designed for downforce lol. I've had my Charger to 150 and I have to say, even as old as that platform is (very few changes suspension wise since 2005) it was nice and stable. I just ran out of room......at the *ahem* track I was on.