Cruise Control Outta Control?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TimboRam77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The wife has stated many times how smooth her 16 Murano is perfect in acc mode compared to the 21 limited. It's true. 5 years older and velvet jones. I kick my acc off the Ram frequently because it is very dumb jerky and rides the brakes if slighly over set speed. The 21 is not as bad as the lemon 19 limited. Using 4 bar spacing and at 55 with a car under normal slowing in front of me my truck would sound collision display a big red X and also display BRAKE and apply brakes heavily. Any time I used acc in traffic you smelled the brakes burning and got constantly ****** like a ragdoll. My current 21 bascially mimics the behaviour of the driver in front of you. If it's a smooth driver then the Ram is smooth. That has happened precisely 1 in ATL traffic in the past 2 years.

SVTII

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In those scenarios, I usually accelerate the truck myself close to the original set speed and then resume cruise control so that doesn’t happen. Problem solved on my end.

TorqueWagon

Reaction score
Westmost point in the contiguous United States
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
General observation, example, and questions on cruise control (2022 Ram 1500):

Observation: When vehicle is traveling slower than cruise control is set, when cruise control is resumed, the vehicle will stomp on the accelerator and try to speed up to achieve the set cruise control speed as fast as it can. This is annoying and probably uses more fuel than necessary, especially since I left the house early and am in no rush (haha, yeah right).

Example: Cruise is set at 65 mph and vehicle is traveling at 65 mph. Traffic causes me or the vehicle to slow down below 65 mph, say to 45 mph. When I hit "resume" or the vehicle in front of me is no longer in front of me, the vehicle will go bat out of hell to get back to 65 mph like its life depended on it.

Question 1: Are Ram engineers out of their minds?

Question 2: Is there a setting somewhere for "resume by gradually increasing speed back to set cruise control speed?"
The heavy acceleration is exactly what should happen by design. The system is supposed to faithfully keep you on the preset speed you set. If you're quite a way off that speed, it naturally is aggressive to get you back on profile. If you don't want prompt return to your selected speed, just use your accelerator pedal at whatever acceleration you desire, and then re-enable cruise control.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In those scenarios, I usually accelerate the truck myself close to the original set speed and then resume cruise control so that doesn’t happen. Problem solved on my end.
Ditto. Same here.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 72091 miles

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
My 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 was HEMI powered & it was a neck snapper, BUT remember, it had 4 or 8 cylinder modes
If the Transmission shifted just as the engine kicked into 8 cylinder mode, that is what always surprised me, as i was pressed back into the seat

My 3.0 Eco-diesel just gains speed smoothly & did not realize how quickly it will climb to 90, there are some places on I-20 in West Texas, where you don't see many other cars & pickups, your right foot must get heavy or something :)

1655973025840.png
1655972462860.png

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Simple answer: push the gas peddle down to reduce the speed delta before hitting resume. Yes? No?
The short answer is yes and that is what I do but that negates the use of adaptive cruise. If you have to disable adaptive cruise so you can accelerate, that kind of defeats the adaptive cruise and especially the stop-and-go feature.

My 2013 RAM 1500 did it, my 2015 3500 did it and both of these had traditional cruise control. My company car, a Lincoln did it as does my 2022, both of these have adaptive cruise control with the 2022 having the stop and go feature in the cruise control. I have no idea why and never heard an explanation but if they all do it, it must be a good story.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The heavy acceleration is exactly what should happen by design. The system is supposed to faithfully keep you on the preset speed you set.
While I agree cruise control should maintain the set speed the issue is the hard acceleration to the set speed when resuming from a lower speed either by command of the resume switch or by the adaptive system when it has a clear roadway.

Obviously it is by design since this is how it operates, the question is why is it designed this way.

I remember my older vehicles from the 70s and 80 that used a cable to the carburetor and was controlled by vacuum. These systems were much better behaved and brought the vehicle back to set speed aggressively but not like current designs.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I beg to differ the trucks reacting the same. I know my EcoDiesel doesn't react as violently as a Hemi but that probably has more to due with it not having to downshift as much as the gassers.
Perhaps the percent of commanded throttle is a better reference since the engines vary in their power output at different RPM, ratings, and axle ratios.

Aussie-John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi V8
My new MY22 Laramie does not do that, but the cruise control speed and the indicated speed can be up to 5kph different.

I set cruise at 100kph, and the truck will sit on 105kph indicated. :(

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The short answer is yes and that is what I do but that negates the use of adaptive cruise. If you have to disable adaptive cruise so you can accelerate, that kind of defeats the adaptive cruise and especially the stop-and-go feature.

My 2013 RAM 1500 did it, my 2015 3500 did it and both of these had traditional cruise control. My company car, a Lincoln did it as does my 2022, both of these have adaptive cruise control with the 2022 having the stop and go feature in the cruise control. I have no idea why and never heard an explanation but if they all do it, it must be a good story.
Unless the trucks adaptive cruise is differant then cars,you don't have to disable the adaptive cruise to accelerate,just step on the gas pedal,and it should say driver override,and you should be able to accelerate at your desired speed,with the active cruise still engaged.I know on the 3 Chryco cars we have had with adaptive cruise all i have to do is override the cruise with the gas pedal.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Unless the trucks adaptive cruise is differant then cars,you don't have to disable the adaptive cruise to accelerate,just step on the gas pedal,and it should say driver override,and you should be able to accelerate at your desired speed,with the active cruise still engaged.I know on the 3 Chryco cars we have had with adaptive cruise all i have to do is override the cruise with the gas pedal.
You are correct but you missed the context of my post to another poster. The discussion was about resuming the cruise, if resuming from a much slower speed to the last set cruising speed, the truck would go near full throttle to get to the last set speed. My suggestion and what I do is to bring the truck up to speed without cruse on and once I get close, say within 5 MPH, I then hit resume, and the truck gingerly accelerates to the last set speed.