cruise control stopped working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alex6666

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 slt
Engine
2017 Ram 1500......recently my oil change light/message comes on and then my cruise control stopped working? Changed oil and reset the oil life and bingo my cruise control starts working again. Is this some kind of intentional action or is it just wierd?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
2017 Ram 1500......recently my oil change light/message comes on and then my cruise control stopped working? Changed oil and reset the oil life and bingo my cruise control starts working again. Is this some kind of intentional action or is it just wierd?
Hold the + an - Gear Selection buttons down simultaneously for 10 seconds. This should bring back the Cruise Control...

cityredneck

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
mine used to do that sometimes, would try to activate cruise control and nothing, saw this comment and tried it and so far my cruise has worked anytime i've turned it on, even if i wasnt going to use it

Mohican69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar
Hold the + an - Gear Selection buttons down simultaneously for 10 seconds. This should bring back the Cruise Control...
Good to know... When mine goes out I just smack the wheel and wala.. cruise works again. This morning the cancel feature started acting up. I believe there is a recall notice for this for my truck but I haven't had the time to surrender my truck to the dealership.

Lovemyramtruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HDMI 5.7
This just happened to my 2019 ram classic on the weekend…wtf..I am going on a big trip in a week. Believe it or not, this fix worked. Should put this in the manual, much appreciated.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Should I be driving parked ect...
I did it while driving. I'm not sure if it will work when parked. This was a recurring problem for me years ago but it has not happened again for some time.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I assume that this is the + and - buttons on my right side shift lever.
The +/- on the gear shift is for the Transmission ERS, the buttons for the cruise control are on the steering wheel.
One feature the Cummins trucks have is the manual elevated idle control:

seahawkdodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2014 Ram 1500, and am having similar issues with my cruise.

It started off as randomly not turning on with the steering wheel button. Holding the gear +/- buttons wouldn't help, nor would smacking the steering wheel.

Now it has progressed further. I can turn cruise on right after start up, and even use it if I am fast enough. But after a few minutes, a quick message on the instrument cluster says "Cruise control off" and then it will not turn back on. If I engage cruise within a very short time, it seems to stay active until it is deactivated for any reason. Then in short order I get the "Cruise Control Off" message and it's out of order.

I have a code reader that can go into all the systems, but what am I looking for?

Any other troubleshooting ideas?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have a 2014 Ram 1500, and am having similar issues with my cruise.

It started off as randomly not turning on with the steering wheel button. Holding the gear +/- buttons wouldn't help, nor would smacking the steering wheel.

Now it has progressed further. I can turn cruise on right after start up, and even use it if I am fast enough. But after a few minutes, a quick message on the instrument cluster says "Cruise control off" and then it will not turn back on. If I engage cruise within a very short time, it seems to stay active until it is deactivated for any reason. Then in short order I get the "Cruise Control Off" message and it's out of order.

I have a code reader that can go into all the systems, but what am I looking for?

Any other troubleshooting ideas?
It sounds like your cruise control may be losing connection on the CANBUS. Connect to the BCM and look for codes relating "lost communication with module"...