Cummins $1.6 billion dollar fine!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Having dealt with regulatory agencies in various jobs, I'm always inclined to lean in favor of the company rather than the government. Big companies spent tremendous money and effort in making sure they don't have stuff like this happen. I think the companies understand the rules better than the government, who's quite inclined to change their interpretation.

I know we will likely never know exactly what happened. It does seem odd that if Cummins really does think they did the right thing, why not go public with what they did vs what is being implied they did?

At Cummins, I was responsible as Product Line Manager for EPA engine compliance in power generation applications. The use of these engines was deemed "Non-Road, Mobile Off-Highway" by EPA. Makes sense, eh?

Yes - we spent thousands of hours and capital to ensure compliance by the regulatory data across multiple product line power ranges, with differing emissions limits and multiple limit changes. It damn near killed me, but we did it.

For that, I was rewarded by being tossed out as no longer needed. Life is grand.

btw - they did go public. They wrote grandoise editorials about it, to which the general public doesn't give a $hit because it's technical. The average public is not like us.

1bigtrout

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Cummins is no better than V.W. F'n crooks. Lie cheat steal the money out of your pockets to sell a computer that's diesel powered.

Shame that a brand that HAD the reputation they had, is now just like every other douche bag company.

And when do I get my share of the $1.6 billion?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Cummins is no better than V.W. F'n crooks. Lie cheat steal the money out of your pockets to sell a computer that's diesel powered.

Shame that a brand that HAD the reputation they had, is now just like every other douche bag company.

Soul removal is a prerequisite first.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD

Yet another uninformed person who bought into the line of BS put out by CARB, EPA etc. who has no clue to what really is involved in this case, but hey if the many talking head bloggers making $$$ on You Tube or other BS outlets said its true, it must be true :mad:

Longhorn1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins SO
Having dealt with regulatory agencies in various jobs, I'm always inclined to lean in favor of the company rather than the government. Big companies spent tremendous money and effort in making sure they don't have stuff like this happen. I think the companies understand the rules better than the government, who's quite inclined to change their interpretation.

I know we will likely never know exactly what happened. It does seem odd that if Cummins really does think they did the right thing, why not go public with what they did vs what is being implied they did?
Probably some kind of non disclosure agreement.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Here ya go.......part of the EPA penalty is to repower some old smoker locomotive engines with some of the engines I worked with (3,000 - 3,800 hp @ 1,800 rpm)

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Squeezing every drop from this lemon.

This is 3rd EPA fine of Cummins. They whack them harder each time. I was in on fine #2, as corporate didn't keep tight reigns on their sole-branded Distributors, so EPA whacked corporate for what their Distributors did.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
But, hey, they issue press releases about diversity, openly supported BLM, fly the rainbow flag, and bashed a certain POTUS who was attempting to reign in the EPA.

Sweet, sweet irony.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
They did that regardless who was President.

In my time there, Cummins almost never talked about products or markets.
Before they took over Onan, we always talked about products and markets, including customer days.

See the diff?

bul1seye

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Thanks, yes I am concerned. They said it was just an ecm update for the engine and that it had to be done. The video link you sent is the one I watched earlier tonight that made me question what recall was just done on my truck.
I recently stopped @ a local Ram Dealer and asked the question, if I bring my truck in for service do I have to do this recall, they replied that I don't have to have it done. So anywhere I go for service I will ask that question first until I know from other users that my fuel economy or my engine performance won't be negatively affected. I do believe that it will eventually be required :mad:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently stopped @ a local Ram Dealer and asked the question, if I bring my truck in for service do I have to do this recall, they replied that I don't have to have it done. So anywhere I go for service I will ask that question first until I know from other users that my fuel economy or my engine performance won't be negatively affected. I do believe that it will eventually be required :mad:

And you better sit by the glass window and watch that they don't start the recall work, you just can't trust anyone anymore. :cool:

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Just because you request it not to be done is no guarantee it will not be installed, I had that happen to me in my 06 5.9 CTD an lost fuel mileage so unless your standing over the guys shoulder who's doing the work your can only hope they honor your request not to install it...

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just because you request it not to be done is no guarantee it will not be installed, I had that happen to me in my 06 5.9 CTD an lost fuel mileage so unless your standing over the guys shoulder who's doing the work your can only hope they honor your request not to install it...

Isn't that what I just said? :cool:

K Price

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Follow up to my earlier post on this matter............... Dealer first told me to drive for 1 - 2 K miles to reset....OK Went back today after driving 2500 miles and following the Chrysler & Dodge "drive cycle procedure to complete OBD readiness monitor" and STILL O2 sensor not reading only to be told it 4k miles to reset.
I asked if they can Re-load the software fix and was told that they can only download it once per recall notice.

The slang term for this is a circle jerk. Technical term is a "dutch rudder"
Thank you Cummins, Ram and my local dealership

P.S. if you think the Mopar customer service line will help........... good luck. They transferred me back to the dealer.