Cummins $1.6 billion dollar fine!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Sure sounds like timing pull back to me.
Pull back so it doesnt run, but that's ok cause it makes even less NOx when it stalls and quits.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well, if y'all would just get rid of those diesels and buy electric trucks it would be a great big beautiful tomorrow.

And go willingly to carousel, it is wonderful. Yeah, just watched Logan's Run last night.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I got the Y43 recall letter from my dealer but FCA and NHTSA both show my vin not having any open recalls nor do they show that I have completed that one . what gives.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I got the Y43 recall letter from my dealer but FCA and NHTSA both show my vin not having any open recalls nor do they show that I have completed that one . what gives.
I also got one yet when they were doing the grid relay they looked an found out my truck had the sensor installed at the factory so they just marked as not needed...

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Here is one report about the 67a recall and its not all roses, { note not word for word but you get what he's talking about} ( noticed since getting it is that it has some rough idle spells when the engine is cold, it didn't have before, I've noticed that lifting off of the throttle at slow speeds mostly when it's cold, truck's forward momentum just absolutely dies, like driving into sand or something, where before it would glide an I'm not going fast enough for the e-brake to engage.)

Flashing the ECM requires a period of time for the trans to re-learn so I suspect that is what that person is dealing with on the "momentum" complaint. Almost sounds like the torque converter is still locked up?

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I guess I need to get under there and see if mine has the sensor. maybe they checked for it when they did the grid relay and updated mopar computer but not their own.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Perhaps someone (a YouTuber I guess?) can grab a 24 from a dealership and run it against a non-flashed 23 and see what the difference is, if any? Or these recalls don’t seem to affect the 23s either?
IIRC it was mostly 3500 along with C&C that didn't have the Y43 sensor but it seems a few early 2500 also don't have it.. BTW the Y43 recall has nothing at all to do with the EPA lawsuit....

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Any news if this affects the ‘24 models?
We've kind of gone off the tracks a bit and 2 recalls are being discussed here now. But neither one should apply to the 23 or 24 trucks, AFAIK. And one only applies to the 13-18's.

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
What's odd is that the investigation had been ongoing for a while and Cummins didn't make any changes until they gave up. If it's a simple change in warmup strategy they really must've thought they were in the right all these years and would prevail. Otherwise they'd have just made the change as soon as it was questioned, paid a minor fine, and moved on.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
What's odd is that the investigation had been ongoing for a while and Cummins didn't make any changes until they gave up. If it's a simple change in warmup strategy they really must've thought they were in the right all these years and would prevail. Otherwise they'd have just made the change as soon as it was questioned, paid a minor fine, and moved on.

Cummins did the same thing in 1998 when I worked there (with the N14 semi truck engine). They claimed EPA re-purposed their regulation to catch companies trying best to comply with it.

I do NOT know which party was correct. I just know Cummins signed a consent decree with EPA, denied culpability, issued a huge statement denying they were in the wrong, and paid a huge fine.

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Having dealt with regulatory agencies in various jobs, I'm always inclined to lean in favor of the company rather than the government. Big companies spent tremendous money and effort in making sure they don't have stuff like this happen. I think the companies understand the rules better than the government, who's quite inclined to change their interpretation.

I know we will likely never know exactly what happened. It does seem odd that if Cummins really does think they did the right thing, why not go public with what they did vs what is being implied they did?