cuts off when slowing down; codes p0700 p0841 and p0876

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cpmtigers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My step son's 06 1500 with 4.7L has been running great since he got it almost two years ago, but he recently has been experiencing a problem when coming up to stop signs and red lights. When he slows down, say less than 5 mph, the truck will cut off. It does this several times a week. Turn it back on and it goes fine. Check engine light on now, with codes listed above. Transmission does not seem to be slipping or feel suspect to me at all the few times I've driven it to see what he was talking about. Biggest concern is having it stall in a busy intersection and having to come to a complete stop to start it back up. Any suggestions? hopefully something as simple as trans fluid plus filter? Trans shift solenoid? fyi trans fluid looks clean, may be slightly overfilled. Thanks in advance! oh, btw, truck has @ 130m miles on it.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
P0700 is a generic code regarding loss of communication between the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) and Transmission Control Module (TCM). It can be a gateway code that indicates other communication or internal control issues are present. A scan tool diagnostic will reveal any secondary codes.

P0841 is a code that reports the transmission fluid pressure switch operation is out of range. That switch is what the TCM reads and is mounted near the side of the transmission case. It can be caused by several issues. The first is simply a failure in the harness that the TCM uses to communicate with the PCM. Other causes are mechanical in nature including internal leaks, cracked or missing check balls in the valve body, low system operating pressure/main line pressure, stuck valve in the valve body or a failed valve body block off plate.

P0876 is a code similar to P0841 and it deals with Circuit D. The potential causes are the same as described above.

I'd inspect the harness and the plug connector to the module on the side of the transmission case for damage. If you know how to check for electrical continuity then give that a try as well. If the harness inspection and continuity check doesn't reveal any obvious faults then I'd be looking at the transmission internals.

Good luck!

OP
OP
C

cpmtigers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks for the detailed response! Am I wrong in assuming that's why it's shutting off occasionally when coming to a stop or close to it?

FullForceRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 2WD Quad Cab
My step son's 06 1500 with 4.7L has been running great since he got it almost two years ago, but he recently has been experiencing a problem when coming up to stop signs and red lights. When he slows down, say less than 5 mph, the truck will cut off. It does this several times a week. Turn it back on and it goes fine. Check engine light on now, with codes listed above. Transmission does not seem to be slipping or feel suspect to me at all the few times I've driven it to see what he was talking about. Biggest concern is having it stall in a busy intersection and having to come to a complete stop to start it back up. Any suggestions? hopefully something as simple as trans fluid plus filter? Trans shift solenoid? fyi trans fluid looks clean, may be slightly overfilled. Thanks in advance! oh, btw, truck has @ 130m miles on it.

I have an 08' Ram (1500 2WD auto trans) and i have had this happen to me in the past, more recently a few months ago. However my issue only happens when I fill the truck up with gas all the way to the top. I've tested a few theories and it all comes back to happening when it's a completely full tank.
I've changed out EVAP sensors, R&R the intake and cleaned it out, etc... never happens aside from that. I don't know if that correlates with your issues but it could also be the fuel pump not working properly?..

Usually when I fill up, I gauge how much I need and stop just a few gallons short of completely full. When I do that, it never stops on me at a stop sign or at the lights, heck even if I did a hard right turn it stopped.

I feel that my issue has something to do with the filler tube and the other smaller tube(forgot the name) where the fuel gets into it and for some reason stops the engine, then I have to start to again much like you do.