CV joint noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jacobsjl88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I had the truck up to put the leveling kit on I was hearing a noise from the CV joint. Sounded like the rubber boot was rubbing against something, but wasn't making a metal on metal noise. Would it be something bad or just need some grease or new boot?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
If the rubber boot is hitting something you may want to check to make sure if it is actually that. You do not want a hole to be rubbed into the boot because water and dirt will make their way inside. Check the boot and if it is rubbing you will see the marks. Then turn the steering so that you can see just what it is rubbing against. Move the offending part out of the way if you can.

OP
OP
J

jacobsjl88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll look into that today. May put some lithium grease around that area.

Have another issue. When I'm driving at low speed (around a parking lot) I feel something grinding but thru the gas pedal only. I don't hear anything either. I believe my passenger wheel bearing is going out. Heard scraping noise there when I had her up on jacks. Anybody else have this happen before?
What happens when you get a truck from the NE region lol.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As far as the bearings go that you should check also. Put your truck up on a jack, then attempt to move the tire and rim by grabbing it at the top and bottom and just giving it a little shake. If there is any movement then you should check the bearings. Remove your tire and rim, remove the disc brake caliper, then spin the disc. Any noise is suspect of bad bearings also any wobble. If you want to go a bit further then remove the dust cap and look inside. It should be filled with grease On 4wd trucks it is a bit more involved though. You will have to remove the hub to check the bearings. Bad bearings though will be quite obvious when doing the above checks.

OP
OP
J

jacobsjl88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Next paycheck I'm going to buy a wheel hub and put it on since I'm going on a 1,000 trip around Xmas.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

jacobsjl88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well replaced the passenger hub and the feeling is still there. Not sure what it is, my only other idea is one of the cv axles

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Put it in 4 hi and hammer it if one of your axles is broke at any of the two joints you will hear it skipping, confirm by putting back in 2wd it will go away, if its not broke but ***** out on the launch it will shake/vibrate nicely at higher rpm between shifts. Usually if you hear grinding in the front you will likely find out its from the rear, however once you hear it you won't go far until the bearing fails totally and ruins the axle and or housing where the race sits. Went thru all that and ended up with complete new parts in and out in all directions! Good luck with getting it alright again.

Last edited:

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CV axles can be a pain in the tail to fix. But to see if it is one of your front ones here is an easy way to tell. Jack up your trucks front end, then attempt to rotate each wheel. There will be a little play due to normal wear, but it should not be excessive. Listen and feel for any grinding from each side. Any grinding means that the joint on that side may be failing. If you can remove the boots then you can do a visual inspection of the joint. Any metal shavings means future failure. The joints should be decently lubricated with grease. Remember there are 2 cv joints on each side. One near the pumpkin and one near the brake/tires. Failure of even one joint means replacing a complete assembly which from what I have read can be a massive pain. Good luck and I do hope that you can find the problem.