Cybertruck vs RAM 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CaptStumpy

Reaction score
The Cybertruck is ugly. There is no need to beat the dead horse. This thread is about specs. The CT is a class 2b, light duty pickup. We won't know until tomorrow how close it is to the RAM 2500, but it will have a 14,000 lb towing capacity and the off-road air suspension will absolutely destroy the off-road capability of the 2500 ..

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Not an apples to apples comparison IMO. CT availability (or should I say unavailability) means you probably wouldn't take delivery of one until the second half of 2024 unless you already have your order placed. If you want an EV truck that will tow 14k lbs, and actually looks like a truck should, you might as well just wait for the Ramcharger.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
We won't know until tomorrow how close it is to the RAM 2500, but it will have a 14,000 lb towing capacity
The 6.4 Hemi still won't be able to pass a gas station but it sure will beat the Cybertruck on "refueling" time... LOL
For the time the Cybertruck battery pack will last, it will probably tow circles around the Hemi and be about on par with the Cummins. Where the Cybertruck will suffer is towing range along with the added recharge time.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
The 6.4 Hemi still won't be able to pass a gas station but it sure will beat the Cybertruck on "refueling" time... LOL
For the time the Cybertruck battery pack will last, it will probably tow circles around the Hemi and be about on par with the Cummins. Where the Cybertruck will suffer is towing range along with the added recharge time.
it takes about 15 mins. to supercharge from about 20% to full charge and will cost you about 20 cents a kwh. i would really like to know where you guys are getting your battery life info from.the only way you will kill your batteries in 10 years is if you constantly supercharge them without conditioning them first.no Tesla owner constantly supercharges their vehicle.1500 recharges empty to full or 300-500 thousand miles.anyone who drives a Tesla knows that it will take waaay more than 10 years to reach 1500 full discharge/recharges. we average 3 a year,and even then it's only down to maybe 30% .

Last edited:

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
The sides of the CT would make me nervous when towing a gooseneck trailer. Between that and range anxiety, it could drive one to drink.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
it takes about 15 mins. to supercharge from about 20% to full charge and will cost you about 20 cents a kwh. i would really like to know where you guys are getting your battery life info from.the only way you will kill your batteries in 10 years is if you constantly supercharge them without conditioning them first.no Tesla owner constantly supercharges their vehicle.1500 recharges empty to full or 300-500 thousand miles.anyone who drives a Tesla knows that it will take waaay more than 10 years to reach 1500 full discharge/recharges. we average 3 a year,and even then it's only down to maybe 30% .

That 15 mins doesn't account for the time spent disconnecting your trailer (because you can't fit your truck and trailer into a supercharger spot). Neither does it account for the time spent waiting for the guy who is charging in front of you. A line at a gas pump moves forward every what, 5 mins? At an electric charger you now multiply that by 3 to 5 times (because hey, you know the guy isn't waiting in his car he's grabbing lunch and not disconnecting the second its done).

Electric trucks when used as trucks for towing/hauling is the stupidest thing ever on this green earth. Give it 20 to 30 years and we might be in a different story.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
CT might be different but the Rivian and F150 Lightning both had a limit of about 100 miles when towing 7500lb box trailer. Takes about 30 minutes to charge back to 50% and cost $40 for that charge. Watch the youtube videos. I watched 3 or 4 yesterday and all had similar results. So unless you are charging at home it is more costly to tow with than gas, you have to disconnect your trailer at most charging stations, and it takes you probably closer to 50 minutes to get to full charge. And if you are towing you will likely run it pretty low unless you have charging stations every 10 miles or so, which around here we don't. Oh...and the regen on the Rivian only gave them 2% charge when going back down the Ike Gauntlet, which is bigger than any hill most of us will ever go down.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
CT might be different but the Rivian and F150 Lightning both had a limit of about 100 miles when towing 7500lb box trailer. Takes about 30 minutes to charge back to 50% and cost $40 for that charge. Watch the youtube videos. I watched 3 or 4 yesterday and all had similar results. So unless you are charging at home it is more costly to tow with than gas, you have to disconnect your trailer at most charging stations, and it takes you probably closer to 50 minutes to get to full charge. And if you are towing you will likely run it pretty low unless you have charging stations every 10 miles or so, which around here we don't. Oh...and the regen on the Rivian only gave them 2% charge when going back down the Ike Gauntlet, which is bigger than any hill most of us will ever go down.
Unfortunately you really can't compare charging times and stations between Tesla and anything else. There's a reason Tesla dumped so much money in to charging networks and stations and why every other EV brand is trying to get Tesla charging standards added to their vehicles. It's the main reason for Tesla's dominance in the EV world right now.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
it takes about 15 mins. to supercharge from about 20% to full charge and will cost you about 20 cents a kwh.
You do realize the Cybertruck has a battery pack that's about double the capacity of the largest pack used in the cars. So now easily double the recharge time and cut the unloaded 300 mile range it has easily in half while towing. We won't mention if the electrical system runs warm and added time is needed for cooling or changing (slower rate).
Take a 1000 mile trip towing a trailer and your looking at least 3-4 quick charges if that distance will be covered in two days.

Keep the fantasy land idea that it's cheaper to recharge a battery, once the higher demand of EV hits the electric grid, what do you think is going to happen to the recharge cost. Not to mention once the incentives and subsidies go away vehicle quick charges will add to the cost of quick charging. (

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
My cost per mile with my truck since i got it in 2019 is .216. According to the tests on youtube it cost the F150 Lightning and the Rivian right around .40/mile after paying for charging. Not to mention resale will likely be horrible on a used EV. At $20k for a battery replacement I would never own one that wasn't under warranty.

My truck according to fuelly...
1701378106347.png

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I bet the CT abs light wont come on at 20k miles.....

Gen1 for any type of product, i.e. cars, electronics, factory equipment, etc all have teething issues. This is the gen 1 cyber truck, it will have its own set of repetitive issues, we just don't know what they are yet.

Tesla has made several models of cars with varying success in terms of quality, and this is there first time in the truck market. The whole EV debate aside, I wouldn't touch this with a 10ft pole for at least the first few model years.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Here is a real world test for the Muskellunge Truck. With my 2015 2500 with 6.4 gasser, I pulled my 41' gooseneck toy hauler from Durant, OK to Holbrook, AZ, close to 900 miles, in one day. The trailer was brand new, dry and empty, so gross combined was in the 20K range. It averaged around 8+ MPG. With the trailer loaded, it scaled at 23,160 lbs. You can keep your golf cart.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Guess I called it didn't I? 11,000 pounds of towing. lol.

For about 20 mins before it's AA batteries run out.

Yep, and a "claimed" range of about 320 and 340 (unloaded ideal conditions) and no one ever meets those numbers. I bet towing range is <100 miles real life.

Hard pass....

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Man y'all just hate attempts at progress don't you? Best time to push forward with alternative energy was 30 years ago, second best time is now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357