Cylinder head cc options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
So the heads off the hemi I bought are trashed cause 1 piston on each side failed and had some major damage, yay me. So I'm gonna go with the edelbrock heads, just haven't decided If I wanna go with the 85cc heads or the 63cc heads. 85cc is close the stock 03 heads volume size but the 63cc is close to the later eagle heads that everyone swaps too.

What would yall go with? I'm leaning towards the 63cc because it's cheaper and the slightly higher compression ratio.

Bloody_Knuckles

USN 81-86
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
You won't be able to put anything but premium in it. With the stock heads you can run regular for daily driving.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Reasonably certain he knows that lol
@Ian_Olivas keep in mind the Edelbrock heads were designed for the 6.1 and later VVT engines, port shape and size, etc mirror those heads. Are you swapping intakes?

OP
OP
Ian_Olivas

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
Reasonably certain he knows that lol
@Ian_Olivas keep in mind the Edelbrock heads were designed for the 6.1 and later VVT engines, port shape and size, etc mirror those heads. Are you swapping intakes?
I contacted edelbrock and they said that they have the heads made to be able to bolt on any of the intake options from the 03 ram to the newer style intake with the active runners and the 6.1 intake, as well as the headers with being able to use the D shape port headers and the earlier style headers. I'm also considering swapping tining covers off the 4th gen rams, but if I wanted to run an intake off the charger/challenger I would need their timing cover or relocate the alternator out of the way. Ideally I guess I would want to run the edelbrock victor intake manifold as well but I'm sure I want to run the charger timing cover just yet.

OP
OP
Ian_Olivas

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
You won't be able to put anything but premium in it. With the stock heads you can run regular for daily driving.
Also I thought the same thing but the 4th gen rams have 65cc heads running a 10.5:1 compression ratio and they still fill up on 87. So I dont know what the deal is with that lol

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I contacted edelbrock and they said that they have the heads made to be able to bolt on any of the intake options from the 03 ram to the newer style intake with the active runners and the 6.1 intake, as well as the headers with being able to use the D shape port headers and the earlier style headers. I'm also considering swapping tining covers off the 4th gen rams, but if I wanted to run an intake off the charger/challenger I would need their timing cover or relocate the alternator out of the way. Ideally I guess I would want to run the edelbrock victor intake manifold as well but I'm sure I want to run the charger timing cover just yet.

Gotta read the fine print (see highlight):

edel hemi.jpg

Edelbrock flat out said these were very much designed towards the 6.1 & 4th gen hemis. Can you bolt a stock 3rd gen intake to it? Yeah, but that's gonna be your choke point. Here are the exhaust ports:

061159_v2_1.png

Very much a D port. They aren't very specific about the intake ports, but I'm willing to bet they're more like eagle/apache ports. Compare to early 5.7 exhaust ports:

all65187-4_1280x851_.jpg

I think they've designed the heads so it is POSSIBLE to bolt just about anything to it, but how well some of those possibilities may work is another story...
Now for the rest; you can't swap a 4th gen timing cover to a 3rd gen engine, they are not backwards compatible (front end of the VVT engines are significantly different) and the accessories are oriented completely different, in both car and truck configurations. To run a car or later truck intake you will need the altered 3rd gen timing cover (which has gotten pricey over the years: http://www.modernmusclextreme.com/p-795-dodge-ram-61l-hemi-intake-adapter-kit.aspx) or if you're handy enough with metal do it yourself. The Victor intake would be an improvement over your stock intake, but running the OEM 6.1, eagle car 5.7 or active truck 5.7 or truck 6.4 intakes will be significantly cheaper and easier to install, though for the plastic intakes you'll need intake spacers to lift them enough to clear the temp sensor unless you switch to a car accessory drive or can clearance enough metal. @chrisp2493 did the car accessory drive conversion in his truck and documented it pretty well. Might check that out, you have options but maybe not the options you thought you had.

Also I thought the same thing but the 4th gen rams have 65cc heads running a 10.5:1 compression ratio and they still fill up on 87. So I dont know what the deal is with that lol

They do, which is why they recommend 89 octane. Can you put 87 in? Manual says yes, HOWEVER; think about how much timing the PCM is gonna pull (and power lost) to ensure you can run **** gas without detonation.

OP
OP
Ian_Olivas

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
Gotta read the fine print (see highlight):

View attachment 186006

Edelbrock flat out said these were very much designed towards the 6.1 & 4th gen hemis. Can you bolt a stock 3rd gen intake to it? Yeah, but that's gonna be your choke point. Here are the exhaust ports:

061159_v2_1.png

Very much a D port. They aren't very specific about the intake ports, but I'm willing to bet they're more like eagle/apache ports. Compare to early 5.7 exhaust ports:

all65187-4_1280x851_.jpg

I think they've designed the heads so it is POSSIBLE to bolt just about anything to it, but how well some of those possibilities may work is another story...
Now for the rest; you can't swap a 4th gen timing cover to a 3rd gen engine, they are not backwards compatible (front end of the VVT engines are significantly different) and the accessories are oriented completely different, in both car and truck configurations. To run a car or later truck intake you will need the altered 3rd gen timing cover (which has gotten pricey over the years: http://www.modernmusclextreme.com/p-795-dodge-ram-61l-hemi-intake-adapter-kit.aspx) or if you're handy enough with metal do it yourself. The Victor intake would be an improvement over your stock intake, but running the OEM 6.1, eagle car 5.7 or active truck 5.7 or truck 6.4 intakes will be significantly cheaper and easier to install, though for the plastic intakes you'll need intake spacers to lift them enough to clear the temp sensor unless you switch to a car accessory drive or can clearance enough metal. @chrisp2493 did the car accessory drive conversion in his truck and documented it pretty well. Might check that out, you have options but maybe not the options you thought you had.

They do, which is why they recommend 89 octane. Can you put 87 in? Manual says yes, HOWEVER; think about how much timing the PCM is gonna pull (and power lost) to ensure you can run **** gas without detonation.
Hmm you gotta love it when you contact edelbrock themselves and they dont even know what they are telling their customers. They straight flat out said yes no problems. To the early intake and early headers. Also I hadn't finished the research on the timing cove . To be completely honest in was gonna go to a junk yard and buy one and fit it up and have a machine shop tap the 2 holes on the block for the ac compressor and get some custom ac lines made. If all went well with the fitment